Temporary build

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeNASmike

Dabbler
Hi there
I am currently awaiting the following parts to put together a new build which will be used in our new office premises that we are moving to at the end of this month.

----------------------
MOBO: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-12C-TLN4F.cfm
CASE: https://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/chassis/tower/721/SC721TQ-250B
RAM: Kingston 32GB DDR4 2133 Reg ECC (x2)
STORAGE DRIVES: HGST 3.5in 26.1MM 6000GB 128MB 7200RPM SAS 512E ULTRA ISE (x4)
HBA: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9211-8i
----------------------

As we are located in Australia there appears to be quite a bit of lead time involved in getting our hands on the Supermicro parts (esp. the motherboard).

Our supplier has just informed us that we are currently looking at taking delivery no sooner than the first or second week of April. Unfortunately this will leave me in a very difficult position as I have been informed that we will be decommissioning our existing NAS unit on the 31st of this month and I therefore need to have the data transferred (and ideally accessible) prior to this.

The supplier is being fantastic (as is the Supermicro rep) and currently trying their best to come up with some solutions however I am trying to work on the worst case scenario that it just may not be possible to get the new (permanent) NAS system built and operational before the deadline.

Given the above my options are to either abandon the Supermicro build and maybe look at going to an Asrock motherboard (which I am somewhat against at this point based on reviewing some other posts on these forums) or to come up with some kind of temporary build to service us until the new system is up and running.

We currently have an old Dell Precision T3500 collecting dust so I was wondering if another option might be to utilize this somehow and build a temporary FreeNAS build? If I was to do this can anyone advise on the most cost effective way to go about it? (eg. what would the minimum number of drives that would be required to house our existing data).

We would obviously prefer not to have to purchase two lots of the 4xSAS drives and two HBA cards etc just to use this setup for a few weeks. As I am a FreeNAS newbie I am not really sure how easy it would be to transfer everything between the two systems when the time comes etc.

TLDR; What is the most economical solution to allow us to store and access our existing NAS data for a few weeks until our new NAS build is ready?

snaptec

Guru
Go to your supplier and ask if they can lend you a server till your Parts arrive.
You can swap the hdds and boot drive when your hardware arrives.

A "cheap" system that meets the requirements is not that easy and for sure, not worth the money for 1-3 weeks.
Lending would be the best path I think.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dice

Wizard
Just a little something: if you run a highly complex environment, you probably could start familirizing with FreeNAS configuration by spinning it up in a VM, doing all sorts of configuration with regards to shares, users, schedules of backup and maintenance etc..
At least you'll be a bit less pressed when the actual swap happens. Remember - the configuration files could be transplanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.