System Time is GMT -- Is that a problem or a feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So while checking out the system time I noticed it was set to GMT as displayed on the System Information tab. This is not affected by the time zone setting at all.

So my question is to the masses, is GMT displayed by design or should it be the local time based on the time zone setting?

My vote is the timezone setting should be what is shown because the logs are in local time and graphs as well.

Before I enter a ticket for this I wanted to check to see if there were nay sayers out there.

To be honest, I'd like a clock displayed in the upper right-hand corner (anywhere will do) but that's just an enhancement for 8.1.

EDIT: My observations were against 8r7652 build.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi joeschmuck,

I just confirmed that the time in "System Information" is set to GMT on my system as well, but is showing correctly for my timezone if I ssh in and run "date".

In the past I have noticed that FreeNAS was running 2 hours ahead in the GUI compared to what I saw via the command line.

-Will

joeschmuck

Old Man
I recall when all time was PST which was fixed but I just noticed system time is reporting as GMT. I have no major heartache with it other than I see no reference to GMT in the logs or anything so it really doesn't fit.

plq

Dabbler
IMHO the time used should be the local time. It is used by all other file operations, and using a different time in FreeNAS may cause software to incorrectly assign a time to a copy, such that an older copy is mistaken for a newer one.

A very bad consequence.

BR,
peter

joeschmuck

Old Man
New ticket created #776.

Status
Not open for further replies.