System suddenly suffering regular read/write drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenFry

Contributor
I've got three FreeNAS machines running, and have built a handful of similar systems for friends. I think I have an idea of how this is all supposed to function, but I'm by no means an expert, because it tends to 'just work'. After a while ;)

So I have no clue what to do to fix this: A few days ago, my movie-NAS started to have some kind of 'drops', whereby the program that is reading from or writing to the NAS will all of a sudden, during operation, report back with "can't write" or when reading, "source not found". As if the NAS isn't there. I exclusively access it from Windows machines with CIFS.

However, I only have to cancel the operation in progress (which of course has usually already happened) and try again. No restarting or anything. The NAS is very much still in action. Since it's a movie storage/server, I only write and read relatively large files. Sometimes it will successfully accept 40GB of writes in one go, other times it will fail after 4, meaning it can take a lot of attempts to copy a 10GB movie to it.

Is there any kind of log I could try and read or other tests to perform?

It's basically the NAS from my .sig, FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950) on an Athlon X2 4200+ with 8GB and 6x2TB in Z2 connected on a flashed M1015. It is by now about 50% full.

Hallup!

Status
Not open for further replies.