Trying to find a bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAZY

Dabbler
I have a NAS that is running slow. When I transfer a movie using my Windows 10 computer I get around 10 - 15Mbps. (upload) It is mainly used for movies and I have Plex media plug in set up.

I have the NAS plugged directly into the router with a CAT6 cable. The router is also an Linksys EA9500. With AC5400. When I run a iPerf test I get back 90,000 - 100,000kbits. (Hard lined, or 400,000kbits on wi-fi.)

I have FreeNAS 9.10.1 installed
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8051MB RAM (4 2GB sticks, DDR3)
4TB WD RED drive WDBMMA0040HNC-NRSN
MB is a HP 6200 Small Form Factor Desktop

I believe the bottle neck is either my one HDD, or the RAM. My MB supports a maximum of 16GB's, and I could prob find a way to cram a second NAS HDD in there and config it in a RAID. Also, I want to know if i had to pick one, would I see better results with a second HDD or 16GB's of RAM? And how much of a difference should I expect to see by doing so. trying to figure out if i would see a day and night difference or not and if it is worth the investment in my little movie server.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Don't ask the same question in 2 different threads. Your problem is your wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KAZY

Dabbler
Don't ask the same question in 2 different threads. Your problem is your wifi.

Dude. It's not the wi-fi. I am hard lined through out the whole connection. The connection between my laptop and my server is all wire. Still getting 15mbps when I transfer. Test are at 100,000kbits.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Dude! So are you getting 15mbits/s or 100mbits/s? In your last comment you said to completely different things. Either way your network is still broken. When iperf is giving you 900mbits/s then you can start looking at your server. What cables are you using? What switch are you using? Does your client support 1gbit speeds? Can you try connecting your client directly to your server, no switch.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm locking this. This is basically a duplicate thread, it's not a troubleshooting guide and it's clearly going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.