System Information and a Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnoble

Dabbler
I have a setup that has been up for a couple of months. All has been good. The machine is setup to email me the status every night. It has been doing so very nicely.

Yesterday, the I did not receive my nightly email, so I logged in via the web interface. All looked good, no errors or alerts. There were no problems accessing the shares, so I chalked it up to the email server.

Then last night I did not get the nightly email again. So I went to log in and there was no access. The IP did not respond to pings, the web interface was dead and I could not access the shares. So I went to the physical location and the machine was off.

Its on a UPS along with another computer so power was not an issue. The other computer was still up and was not restarted.

I restarted the freenas 8.2 box and all looked good. Looked like normal boot information.

Logged into the box, sent a test email with success. Checked what I could out and everything looks fine.

Here are my questions:
1) Any idea why a shutdown would happen? I am thinking a hardware issue. Maybe an overheating condition. I don't know.

2) Is there any way to get CPU temps and other information on hardware status?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
First, could you post your hardware configuration and which version of FreeNAS you are running.

Unless your CPU fan is dead I doubt your CPU is running hot. FreeNAS isn't that much of a CPU hog, and not at all when you are doing nothing. You can grab CPU temps through the CLI. Type the following at the command line.
Code:
sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"

Is your UPS digitally connected to your FreeNAS box and do you have FreeNAS configured to use the UPS to signal a shutdown? If so then that could be the cause and we can dive more into that topic if the answer is yes.

There are not a lot of things that can cause the FreeNAS computer to power off but locking up is another story. Sure you didn't turn it off yourself or someone didn't come up and hit the power button, even by accident?

wnoble

Dabbler
Ah, its got to be some sort of hardware failure. Just after submitting this question, it was off again. Took the cover off for a physical check and it appears the cpu is cool, but both the power supply and some of the chips are very hot.

This NAS was made from an older server I had. Probably from 2007. AMD Opteron on an Asus server motherboard. 3ware controller. Running some version of 8.2 from December's latest.

I am ordering a new board, power supply, battery for the controller, and some other stuff to get it up to date. Had to be some sort of hardware failure, but exactly what, I have no idea.

Thanks for your reply.

First, could you post your hardware configuration and which version of FreeNAS you are running.

Unless your CPU fan is dead I doubt your CPU is running hot. FreeNAS isn't that much of a CPU hog, and not at all when you are doing nothing. You can grab CPU temps through the CLI. Type the following at the command line.
Code:
sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"

Is your UPS digitally connected to your FreeNAS box and do you have FreeNAS configured to use the UPS to signal a shutdown? If so then that could be the cause and we can dive more into that topic if the answer is yes.

There are not a lot of things that can cause the FreeNAS computer to power off but locking up is another story. Sure you didn't turn it off yourself or someone didn't come up and hit the power button, even by accident?

joeschmuck

Old Man
No problem. Hope you enjoy that new hardware once it arrives.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad to hear things are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.