Forced shutdown or pull the plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
My boot device seems to have gone bad, so I can't get into the web GUI and when I access the server over IPMI KVM I can't do anything in the shell. I've tried a graceful shutdown, but it terminates due to some process that is running on the server. I've tried unplugging my UPS from the wall and letting the UPS service shut it down, but it doesn't seem to be working (it's been running on battery for the past 40 minutes and it "executed automatic power-fail shutdown" 35 minutes ago).

So I'm left at the point where I have two options, either let the battery backup run out and have the server just shutdown, or do I force a shutdown through IPMI?

My UPS config, just in case:
ih40Ytk.png

P.s. for some reason I haven't gotten an email from the UPS service yet (I have in the past and when I did upsc ups in a shell it printed out the status of the UPS).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would say doing a shutdown through ipmi is much better than letting the power run out.

djdwosk97

Patron
I would say doing a shutdown through ipmi is much better than letting the power run out.
Alright, any last minute suggestions before I just power down through IPMI? Maybe and ways of restoring the shell to a usable state?

Status
Not open for further replies.