System Degraded - Trouble with Identification of degraded drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoannon

Cadet
Hi

I have had a problem now for a little while with the critial light flashing telling me

CRITICAL: Sept. 6, 2018, 12:51 p.m. - The volume TARDIS state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

I got to Storage>Volumes>View disks and it shows my ada3 16GB SSD drive sitting there which is the boot device

I go to Volume Status there is no ada3 instead what I guess is the boot volume shown as unavailable
Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_16.png

I have resinstalled the OS onto this drive and still receive the same error. I reinstalled into a different partition on the SSD saving the previous install.

The system at more and more regular times drops off the network with link status down.

Is the boot drive considered part of the data pool - I am confused as to have I got the correct drive that is failing? My concern is that on boot I do have a really scratchy sound coming from one of the hard drives and if I am misreading the issue, I want to replace the bad drive.

Thanks

Glenn

garm

Wizard
This has nothing to do with your boot device. As per the image you posted, one of your drives in your raidz1 vdev is unavailable. This has put your entire pool in a really bad state. One more drive failure and you will loose the pool. You need to replace the failed drive immediately. Power off the system until you have a replacement drive burned in and ready to resilver.

zoannon

Cadet
Hi thanks for your reply.

My issue is then identifying the culprit. as from above you can see there is no ada3 (ada3 as far as I know sits as boot drive).

this shows the boot drive as ada 3 - and the critical alert system is not advising the actual disk that is in error - just that the state is degraded.

can you see what I mean? As far as I can see the only clue is that the image in the previous post shows no ada3 but numbers for the name and the status of unavail. ?

Screenshot_3.png

garm

Wizard
You have four 2 TB drives in that picture, but your RAIDZ1 vdev consists of five drives. Just match the serial numbers with the drives in your machine.

zoannon

Cadet
Hi

Thank you - Yes I took the cover off and I had 5 drives. I think the thing that was throwing me was that it was saying one of the drives unavailable and not simply offline. Was a mixture of this and just before I had this issue I had to replace the USB boot - I thought I had bought a corrupt USB and it kept dropping from the network (assumed it was the boot ) so that was in the mix.I may still have a network issue - will see how it goes.

I followed the instructions: I got under the hood, wrote down all the serial numbers of the drives I had physically in there. Looking through the GUI, I matched up the serial numbers all bar 1 - that was the culprit - I replaced it and now we are back to healthy and Resilvering.

Thank you so much to the people that replied - I am back up - I really thought it was the boot.

Glenn
Happy Camper :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.