Syslog Server? Do you use one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Ideas for a syslog server? Does anybody use this feature? Input & Ideas/Opinions welcome!...

Thanks,

Yatti420

Wizard
This looks promising.. www.networksa.org/?p=318

I went the jail route however and I have a packaged syslog collector - it's working in a jail currently.. Now to get it to run on startup and not have the standard syslogd in the way..

Yatti420

Wizard
The only thing left now is to have the daemon startup with appropriate "options" on startup (there is no config file) . I probably could of made syslogd do remote collecting but it looked complicated.. I just wanted to add a package and use it.. Been successful so far..

Might have to do some reading on rc & init and set something up for the jail..

I didn't want to have a syslog server on a client pc so I really wanted to use freenas / jail and some packaged software.. Seems sucessful so far..

Attachments

• minirsyslogdtest.png
    minirsyslogdtest.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 811
  • minirsyslogdtest-dlinklog2.png
    minirsyslogdtest-dlinklog2.png
    160 KB · Views: 738
  • minirsyslogdtest-dlinklog.png
    minirsyslogdtest-dlinklog.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 692
  • minirsyslogtest-freenas2.png
    minirsyslogtest-freenas2.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 720

Yatti420

Wizard
Top from jail #2.. Should I be worried about high PID count?

Attachments

• top-syslogjail.png
    top-syslogjail.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 765

Yatti420

Wizard
http://www.manualpages.de/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-ports-9.0-RELEASE/man8/minirsyslogd.8.html

root@syslogjail:/ # minirsyslogd --daemon --maxfilesize 2000 --pidfile /var/run/minirsyslogd.pid --umask 007 --split day --rootdir /mylogs/

Works fine when I run it via putty..

Code:
minirsyslogd startup: version="1.02" pid=6366 uid=0 gid=0 euid=0 egid=0
minirsyslogd settings: rootdir="/mylogs" maxopen=50 port=514 maxopenspersec=200 split=hour recvmode=split
minirsyslogd startup: backgrounding (daemonizing)

I want to run this as startup however automatically.. Still plugging away at learning rc.d etc.. If anybody could help me out or make sure I'm headed in the right direction that would be great.. Thanks,

Yatti420

Wizard
Still having troubles with rc.d and starting minirsyslogd automatically on jail boot.. I havent made any changes can easily launch/control from shell it's just the silly autostart..

Yatti420

Wizard
I like the structure though..

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-09-02 18:28:50.png
    Screenshot from 2013-09-02 18:28:50.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 771
  • Screenshot from 2013-09-02 18:32:54.png
    Screenshot from 2013-09-02 18:32:54.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 724

Yatti420

Wizard
I've finally nailed the startup script using some examples and reading the rc.d info.. It works for me by I doubt its portable or "valid" currently.. Used this as reference.. I'm sure there is an easier way to get this going somehow..

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: minirsyslogd
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING

. /etc/rc.subr

name="minirsyslogd"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
start_cmd="minirsyslogd_start"
stop_cmd=":"

load_rc_config $name

minirsyslogd_start()
{
    if checkyesno ${rcvar}; then
    /usr/local/sbin/minirsyslogd --daemon --maxfilesize 2000 --pidfile /var/run/minirsyslogd.pid --umask 007 --split day --rootdir /mylogs/
    fi
}

run_rc_command "$1"

This was placed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ to keep it separate from base jail.. I still get issues with connectivity when the system reboots.. and before the jail is booted? I guess there is no way around this? Once it's booted looks like it picks up and everything sends.. The syslogd that comes with the jail should be capable of doing this.. Not sure about structuring files etc though..

Edit:
added to rc.conf
syslogd_enable="No" #to disable jail syslogd (no need for local logging - jail dedicated to minirsyslogd)
minirsyslogd_enable="YES"

Lots of important notes if you want to use minirsyslogd..

Works great for capturing all freenas syslogs (including jails if you configure it).. Routers.. My ubuntu PC.. Anything else you can find with syslog.. Always wanted one of these setup :)

Paranoiak

Dabbler
I have set up a syslog server on my Intel NUC (Winows 8.1) to monitor my FreeNAS and it works great ! It is FREE until 5 sources.

E-mail alerts are working so far, it was the most important feature IMHO.

http://www.snmpsoft.com/syslogwatcher/syslog-server.html

Very simple, highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.