Freenas As Syslog-server

Status
Not open for further replies.

twist

Cadet
Hello,
is there anybody using Freenas as a syslog-server for collecting logs from other operating systems and networkdevices?
If so how did you managed to get it working on Freenas?
Greetings,
Twist

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, because FreeNAS doesn't have the space in its var partition to do a proper job of this. However, I feel comfortable saying that you could trivially set up a FreeBSD jail on FreeNAS to act as a fantastic syslog server, storing logs on the ZFS pool.

Caesar

Contributor
tWiSt I did exactly what jgreco is talking about. I setup a syslog-server in my jail and then I config'd FreeNAS to forward it's logs to the syslog in the jail. It works great.

I was not familiar with syslog so I searched youtube and found this guy that does a pretty good job explaining how to use it.

twist

Cadet
Thank you for the replies.
I will have a look in the weekend, because i'm to busy at work now.

Yatti420

Wizard
Did anybody get this to work? I'm curious and in the process of working on this.. Atleast network devices should work.. Not sure about local logging as syslog* would reside in a port/standard (non-vanilla) jail..

Durandal

Explorer
Did anybody get this to work? I'm curious and in the process of working on this.. Atleast network devices should work.. Not sure about local logging as syslog* would reside in a port/standard (non-vanilla) jail..

I'm also interested in getting a working syslog server within a FreeNAS jail working. I have a SSD drive as a "jail" drive and i would love to use it for the local syslog from FreeNAS. Is there a simple guide available?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No guide is necessary. Simply create a dataset called "syslog" on your zpool and reset. FreeNAS will use it for persistent log storage. :)

As for using it as a syslog for other servers, that trick doesn't work. The syslog dataset simply lets FreeNAS put its logs on persistent storage for troubleshooting purposes as the default location is a RAMdrive that is lost on reboot.

Durandal

Explorer
No guide is necessary. Simply create a dataset called "syslog" on your zpool and reset. FreeNAS will use it for persistent log storage. :)

That was a good short and simple guide! Thanks!

Will try it tonight on my SSD - perfect!

Yatti420

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.