Synchronize Destination Snapshots With Source -- will the entire dataset to be replicated again?

jay413

Cadet
Does enabling "Synchronize Destination Snapshots With Source" delete the destination dataset and replicate all the data from the source dataset again? Or are just the snapshots deleted on the destination and new snapshots copied from the target?

Problem: I have 91 TB dataset. I have already replicated that dataset from source to destination using a Replication Task. I then created a new Snapshot task for the Replication to use. When the replication task next ran, it failed with "No incremental base on dataset 'NameX' and replication from scratch is not allowed". So I thought I would delete all source and destination snapshots and try again. Then replication failed with "Target dataset 'NameXBackup' does not have snapshots but has data (e.g. 'NameX' and replication from scratch is not allowed". Searching for an answer online and in this forum indicate I need to enable "Synchronize Destination Snapshots With Source". However, it's not clear to me if the entire destination dataset would be deleted and the entire source dataset copied again, or only the snapshots. If the entire dataset is replicated again, that would mean 91 TB of data would need to be copied!

There is a related post in this forum, but no clear answer was given.

Thanks for any help.