Support Request - Permanent errors have been detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ric

Contributor
You need to post the output of the following, like to did for the dmesg.

zfs list -r
zpool status -v

These should help people understand what is going on.

Also you should have a list of all the serial numbers / disk models and what the corresponding SATA ports they are plugged into.
Code:

[root@freenas] ~# zfs list -r
NAME                                                                USED  AVAIL           REFER  MOUNTPOINT
dotsystem                                                          1.68T  5.98T            326K  /mnt/dotsystem
dotsystem/.system                                                  11.3G  5.98T            316M  legacy
dotsystem/.system/configs-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5          209K  5.98T            209K  legacy
dotsystem/.system/configs-b69766f51e324c93b43fd37956f7ddc2          209K  5.98T            209K  legacy
dotsystem/.system/cores                                            1.24M  5.98T           1.24M  legacy
dotsystem/.system/rrd-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5              209K  5.98T            209K  legacy
dotsystem/.system/rrd-b69766f51e324c93b43fd37956f7ddc2              209K  5.98T            209K  legacy
dotsystem/.system/samba4                                            698K  5.98T            698K  legacy
dotsystem/.system/syslog-5ece5c906a8f4df886779fae5cade8a5           761K  5.98T            761K  legacy
dotsystem/.system/syslog-b69766f51e324c93b43fd37956f7ddc2          11.0G  5.98T           11.0G  legacy
dotsystem/jails                                                    1.35G  5.98T            500K  /mnt/dotsystem/jails
dotsystem/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail                         512M  5.98T            512M  /mnt/dotsystem/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail
dotsystem/jails/plexmediaserver_1                                   723M  5.98T           1.20G  /mnt/dotsystem/jails/plexmediaserver_1
dotsystem/jails/transmission_1                                      147M  5.98T            655M  /mnt/dotsystem/jails/transmission_1
dotsystem/mymedia                                                  1.66T  5.98T           1.43T  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia
dotsystem/mymedia-mymedia-snapshots-clone                          33.4M  5.98T           1.24T  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia-mymedia-snapshots-clone
dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-pluginjail                       512M  5.98T            512M  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-pluginjail
dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64                  521M  5.98T            512M  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64
dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64-20151007200436   512M  5.98T            512M  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64-20151007200436
dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-standard--x64                   2.47G  5.98T           2.38G  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/.warden-template-standard--x64
dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync                                            203G  5.98T            197G  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync
dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64           512M  5.98T            512M  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64
dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync/.warden-template-standard--x64            4.84G  5.98T           4.75G  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync/.warden-template-standard--x64
dotsystem/mymedia/Cellphone_media_files                            32.2G  5.98T           32.2G  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/Cellphone_media_files
dotsystem/mymedia/plexmediaserver_2                                 402M  5.98T            910M  /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/plexmediaserver_2
dotsystem/nfs_share1                                                209K  5.98T            209K  /mnt/dotsystem/nfs_share1
dotsystem/webdavset                                                 192M  5.98T            192M  /mnt/dotsystem/webdavset
freenas-boot                                                        526M   344G             31K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT                                                   519M   344G             25K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install                                  2.91M   344G            511M  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/default                                           516M   344G            513M  legacy
freenas-boot/grub                                                  6.78M   344G           6.78M  legacy
[root@freenas] ~#

[root@freenas] ~# zpool status -v
pool: dotsystem
state: ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 6h44m with 0 errors on Sun Nov 8 06:44:25 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
dotsystem ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/1fd3b852-fa43-11e3-b1ee-0cc47a00c536 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/202ba896-fa43-11e3-b1ee-0cc47a00c536 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/20e1bd60-fa43-11e3-b1ee-0cc47a00c536 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/2136c99a-fa43-11e3-b1ee-0cc47a00c536 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/d88181fb-88e8-11e5-8281-0cc47a00c536 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
[root@freenas] ~#

dcevansiii

Dabbler
If you only have 4 physical disks...

Based on the zfs list -r

Everything is there, maybe your mount points are off.

Suggestions:

1. Upgrade your memory to a minimum 8GB people often don't help at all if you aren't running minimum recommended requirements. Plus shit happens when you don't run min specs.
2. Don't use an SSD for your boot disk, super super over kill.
Go buy 2 of these Sandisk 16gb usb flash $8/each http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLEN5FQ/?tag=ozlp-20
Insert one; attach to boot drive; insert second one; replace the ssd with it.

ric

Contributor
I made these changes as right before the fresh install of the new USB stick.

4x WD NAS-red Sata HDD:

Model # WD30EFRX

Ser # WMC4N0335365 > sata 1
Ser # WMC4N0337155 > sata 5
Ser # WMC4N033785 > sata 4
Ser # WMC4N033692> sata 2

Intel SSD 520 > sata 3 (Freenas 9.3 stable)

USB 16gb plugged in to USB (mobo) (Old usb)

dcevansiii

Dabbler
I still stand by my previous recommendations, wrt to no ssd & adding ram and new flash drives.

goto the shell prompt and do the following:

ls -la /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia
ls -la /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync
ls -la /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/Cellphone_media_files

You should probably see a lot of your stuff there.

If you haven't already you should review this post. It has made me feel much better with my whole freenas installation.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...d-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, it's the right HDDs when you View Disks, but they should also be listed or be viewed these HDDs under Volume Manger, correct?
No, only unused disks are shown in the volume manager. If a disk is known to be part of a pool already, it isn't shown in the volume manager.
I've created a directory/dataset within these drives as /mnt/tank/mymedia which is not showing up under Storage>Volumes anymore.
Did you create it as a directory, or as a dataset? The two are not the same. A directory won't show up under Storage, but a dataset will.

ric

Contributor
Here's what I did before first time I setup my freenas box.... I have 4x WD HDDs configured as RAIDz 2. I configured my first dataset / zpool on this, and then created a directory /tank/mymedia/ .... to work with plex and it's been up and running without any issues.

/mnt/dotsystem not even exist that time. This Dir was created and mapped to another USB stick. My goal was to separate them from the </tank/mymedia...> Because I noticed my HDDs never go to idle mode while jails are in the same partition.

Only reason why this directory exist is because I wanted to migrate/move all my jails out from the zpool into a separate drive which is happened to be the old USB (/mnt/dotsystem/... at the same time running a Freenas 9.3x .. This is the one accidentally scrubbed from zpool.

So, my question is how can I possibly recover my dataset '/tank/mymedia' back to the Storage>Volumes list?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
You still seem to be equating a directory with a dataset. Again, the two are not the same. If you created a tank/mymedia directory during the previous installation, and have somehow now created a tank/mymedia dataset over it, the dataset will hide the directory you created before. You do now have a mymedia dataset, which for some reason has a couple of jails inside it. Try this:
  • Stop the BTSync and plexmediaserver_2 jails
  • From the CLI, 'zfs unmount dotsystem/mymedia'
  • Now see if (1) the mymedia directory still exists, and (2) you can still see your media there. If both are the case, then:
    • 'mv /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia_old'
    • 'zfs mount dotsystem/mymedia'

ric

Contributor
"From the CLI, 'zfs unmount dotsystem/mymedia'"

I've stopped everything BTysnc and plexmediaserver_2 & jails.

root@freenas# 'zfs unmount /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia'"

cannot unmounts 'zfs unmount /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia': Device busy

What did I do wrong with this?

ric

Contributor
here's the output:

root@freenas# zfs unmount dotsystem/mymedia
cannot open 'dotsystem/media': dataset does not exist

What happened to my /tank/mymedia is it gone?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
root@freenas# zfs unmount dotsystem/mymedia
cannot open 'dotsystem/media': dataset does not exist
No, that isn't the output. Either you mistyped the command, or you mistyped the response.

ric

Contributor
My knowledge in bsd/linux/unix is very limited.

Please guide to the right direction if you can.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I gave you an exact command to type. You may or may not have typed it correctly. You may or may not have typed the output correctly. But I'm nearly certain that you typed at least one of them incorrectly, because they should match--if you typed 'zfs unmount dotsystem/mymedia', and it were giving that error, the error would have read, "cannot open 'dotsystem/mymedia': dataset does not exist". Notice the bold I've added here, to show the discrepancy in your post. So, I'm nearly certain that you made an error, but I don't know what error you made. You could copy/paste from putty, or whatever you're using to ssh in to the machine, to avoid typing errors.

ric

Contributor
Okay, so I've run all the commands through CLI, no error found so far..

'zfs unmount dotsystem/mymedia'
'mv /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia_old'
'zfs mount dotsystem/mymedia'

ric

Contributor
I still stand by my previous recommendations, wrt to no ssd & adding ram and new flash drives.
goto the shell prompt and do the following:

ls -la /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia
ls -la /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/BTsync
ls -la /mnt/dotsystem/mymedia/Cellphone_media_files

You should probably see a lot of your stuff there.

If you haven't already you should review this post. It has made me feel much better with my whole freenas installation.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/scripts-to-report-smart-zpool-and-ups-status-hdd-cpu-t°-hdd-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/

dcevansii, you're correct! I could see all my stuff using these commands 'ls -la /mnt/dotsystem.. What I need to do right now is figure out how can I bring back these Directories on to my current build?

Your input is always appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

dcevansiii

Dabbler
1. Woot! Good to know that your stuff is there.

2. I think you are going to end up shooting yourself in the foot if you don't get more familiar with FreeNAS/Jails/ZFS/FreeBSD in general.
So given that you need to proceed slowly and understand what you are actually doing.

3. I think you should spend time reading the FreeNAS docs.

4. maybe watch this open-zfs bootcamp vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLbtJQmfumI
You need to understand differences in pools datasets directories etc.

5. Review the message boards on various how tos etc; review my previous suggestions on the scripts (setting up smart checks etc); setup email notification if you haven't already.

6. based on the output of zpool status -v, you are running raidz1 with your pool. You should probably consider running raidz2 as you get
to bigger disks, because of rebuild times and possibility of another disk failing while rebuilding. In general if you give ZFS a good cushion less bad stuff happens.

I gotta hit the hay, remember your data is there so go slowly. Back up stuff so you don't lose anything if you mess up. (which might take some legwork as you might not even be sharing anything via cifs)

gl

ric

Contributor
Thanks for this stuff. It would help me a lot, and definitely going check this out later.

Here's another problem when I'm configuring the Jail storage. Please see error message on top of photo with green color.
AddingJailStorageError.jpg

Last edited:

dcevansiii

Dabbler
I haven't used jails at all, so I can't give you good direction on that other than saying the following:

1. How were you mounting the storage to the jails? via the freenas Jail subsystem? via CIFS, so that the jail accessed the storage like any other client? How do others do it on the forum with the same plugins?
2. You should read if you haven't already: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_jails.html
3. You should consider taking a snapshot of your pools if you haven't already.
4. I would take a week and try and understand some of the basic stuff, you will feel better and not like you are drowning and looking for the right line of commands to solve your problem.

Sorry I can't be of further assistance wrt to the jails etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.