SuperStorage Server 5081A-AR12L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eascen

Cadet
So, while I wanted to simply install FreeBSD, my coworkers were much happier with the lovely UI FreeNAS provides. We needed a new backup array at work, and ended up getting the Supermicro server, which packs a lovely 12 3.5 hot swaps in a 1U.
Three issue's we ran into:
The onboard USB requires a rather short stick -- and the ones we had around weren't quality.
There are only two extra HDD power cables inside, with 5 open SATA ports.
The rack rails are too long for our racks... so we ended up shelving it for now.
Build:
1x SuperServer 5018A-AR12L
12x WD Red Pro 4tb (raidz3, yes, I know, performance isn't this things purpose), we have 2 spares around in case
2x 8GB Kingston ECC
2x Intel 530 120GB for mirror/zil/slog/possiblycachelater
1x Intel Pro/1000 PT dual port

It's currently configured with 3 iSCSI NIC's, and 3 10tb lun's (they won't ever be over 9tb used) based on ZVOL's. I'm hoping unmap will make its way into FreeNAS soon.

A plain dd (compress off) to the pool from /dev/zero with encryption enabled is around 720 write, and around 830 read. Obviously more than enough to saturate the 3 iSCSI nic's. I did note the disks usage never went over 70% during those tests.

Power consumption is awesome: It's using between 175 and 183 watts, the SuperMicro IPMI is awesome.
iSCSI performance from ESX 5.5, over a VMDK on the lun appears to be getting the expected 200/200 (only two nic's per host are dedicated to iSCSI.
A special thank you to my coworkers who continue to let me be a mad scientist...

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 321

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've had that experience with some older racks (rails being too long). Have one of these now. Sturdy and gets the job done. Before we got the new rack. I rested the new server on top of an old msa that was in the rack as well. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Interesting choice. How are the thermals with 7200RPM drives?

I won't ask about noise because my ears hurt just from imagining it...

Eascen

Cadet
When I had it setup, in my office, the drives got up to about 35c, so I changed the fan mode to 'Full On' which caused my entire corner of the building to turn into a jet engine zone. After that, they dropped to 30-31c, with badblock running on all the drives.

Now that it's in the server room and the acoustics bother no one, with full on they're running at 25c (the drives in the back) with the AC in that room being quite cool.

An interesting note -- as I checked all the drives temps, when it was in my office, the drives in the front were around 25c in the front, and in the back were 31c. Now that it's in the cold isle, they all appear to be at 25c.

BakerT

Cadet
Eascen how is this system running for you so far? Im considering this system for at cold storage setup.

Eascen

Cadet
So far, to my knowledge, we had a memory module error and got it replaced, but no issues. Overall it's a great low cost solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.