Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm reading this forum since about 3 months and found extremely helpful advices and tips.
It also helped me to decide to got for FreeNAS as the storage solution for my home (after using Debian and Ubuntu Server before).
Since I wasn't sure whether FreeNAS suits my needs and cannot spare enough money for a full-fledged server build right now, I repurposed my old server for FreeNAS.
I'm fully aware that this is not the recommended setup.
But don't be afraid: You are safe and won't see me whining here around in case my zfs-pool goes nirvana.

However, since I started posting I thought I should give a short introduction of myself.
I follow hardware topics and building computers as a hobby since 15 years and was an amateur-admin for a while in a small group. Back then it all worked out so I started messing around with my own homeserver.

So here's my actual non-optimal FreeNAS 9.3 build:
CPU: AMD BE-2300 2x 1.9 GHz
Mainboard: Asrock Alive Nf7G-HDready
RAM: 4x 2GB Adata DDR2-800
OS USB-Sticks: 2x SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 16GB (RaidZ)
HDDs:
2x 2TB WD RED WD20EFRX
1x 4TB WD RED WD40EFRX
volume1: 1x RAID-Z1 3x 2TB (2 TB are unused)
SSD:
1x Sandisk UltraPlus 128 GB SSD (for logs and jails)
The SSD is used to enable the possibility to let the HDDs spin-down (it's not activated yet and I'm still not sure whether I should).

Aside from that, I recently got an Iomega storcenter ix2-200 which I plan to use for backups over network. So far my backup solution is a duplicate backup on two external USB drives (3 TB and 4 TB, respectively).

I'm very pleased with FreeNAS as an OS and will hopefully sooner than later migrate to a build with server components and ECC-RAM. And I'm very happy that this is such a great forum to find the optimal setup for my needs. I'll visit often.
Thanks for the great support and help in this forum, especially cyberjock, EricLoewe and joeschmuck for their very informative posts.

See you around

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums and thank you for doing the prerequisite reading before you setup your test rig.

Sent from my phone

pasban

Cadet
Thank you for the Crucial tip, I just ordered their CT5008102 2x8gb kit. Even including VAT and shipping it was the same price as the Kingstons I was looking at.

Thank you for the Crucial tip, I just ordered their CT5008102 2x8gb kit. Even including VAT and shipping it was the same price as the Kingstons I was looking at.

You'd be welcome if I would've done anything. Guess you intended to thank someone somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.