Supermicro X7DBU can't boot FreenAS from USB after BIOS upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac1600

Cadet
I'll try not to be too lengthy.
Had FreeNAS running on the server (see specs in signature) with no issues, other than I could not add an SSD drive.
The original bios R2.1a was installed form 2008, so I decided to upgrade BIOS with last update to R2.1c from 2011, BIOS updated successfully and I can't find any settings that seem to interfere with booting
from the FreeNAS OS.
So now the SSD drive can be recognized but FreeNAS will not boot from USB. I have also disconnected SSD in case it was interfering, to no avail. I get the message the the FreeNAS disk is a data disk (most likely referring to my WD Red Pro drives installed) as I get same message if I boot with no USB. I tried the FreeNAS OS USB in a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop and it boots perfectly.
I am using a San Cruzer Micro 16GB USB for FreeNAS.
I also created a FreeDOS bootable USB (Dell 256mb USB) and it boots fine on the Supermicro server that the FreeNAS USB will no longer boot from.
Please Help. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Try doing a new install onto a new boot device.

Mac1600

Cadet
Thanks, have tried multiple usb drives of different sizes still no go, but they work in my desktop and laptop. Driving me crazy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I guess the best I can suggest is to try an older BIOS...

Mac1600

Cadet
So I guess the best I can suggest is to try an older BIOS...
That what I am attempting, but do not have the cd as I purchased server used. I have emailed Supermicro, waiting to hear back. Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.