Supermicro X10SLM+-F Bios to old for cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramy

Dabbler
I ordered a build from a previous thread I posted here, which had been approved by you. I ended up using 6x2tb WD reds, if you are interested. I also bought an i3-4160, because the 4150 in the original thread was out of stock on amazon. I knew they were both haswell refresh, however, so the bios problem wouldn't have been any different if I had gone with the 4150. The issue is, my motherboard shipped with bios rev. 1.02, and haswell refresh wasn't supported until 2.0. I have an i7 4770k in my personal build, but I don't think that will help as it doesn't support ECC memory. Is there any way to update the bios without a cpu on a supermicro X10SLM+-F?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yes.

Your motherboard has IPMI. Supermicro, for a fee (I believe, $20?) will sell you a "key" that activates your IPMI BIOS flash capability.

I wonder if the board will post with the i7. I wouldn't rule it out. If so, you could flash the BIOS normally.

For the record, can you tell us where you purchased the motherboard? Last we knew, any X10's people were buying from Newegg, new, were all shipping with the latest BIOS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, I got so sick of this issue, myself, that I just bought a G3220 to have laying around, just to handle situations like this. I felt that was $50 well spent.

Ramy

Dabbler
Would you mind helping me out with the IPMI bios update? I believe I have the required software (it's called Supermicro Update Manager, right?). I read in another thread about a way to get them to send you an evaluation copy of the software, but I'm not sure about how to use it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Would you mind helping me out with the IPMI bios update? I believe I have the required software (it's called Supermicro Update Manager, right?). I read in another thread about a way to get them to send you an evaluation copy of the software, but I'm not sure about how to use it.
Sorry, I'm not sure how to use it either, since I've never seen it in action. One presumes it is self-explanatory. You probably activate the software, you download from the supermicro site the new BIOS firmware, then you navigate to that file in the IPMI updater, and click "go".

Ramy

Dabbler
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be that simple as it is a CLI.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, surely, if you purchased this, there is some documentation for it. You're not supposed to need a M.S. in computer engineering to run the BIOS update.

Ramy

Dabbler
My problem is that the board isn't even allowing me to access it over IPMI, and I'm not sure how to enable that without getting into the BIOS.

Ramy

Dabbler
Well, I managed to get into IPMI and update the BIOS. However, that didn't fix my problems. Now, the IPMI heartbeat LED (which is supposed to be blinking) is solid. Do you have any idea what that could mean?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Flash everything. BIOS and Management Engine (change the jumper) and IPMI. Reset both the host and IPMI, including cutting power at the wall (/PSU).

Ramy

Dabbler
Flash everything. BIOS and Management Engine (change the jumper) and IPMI. Reset both the host and IPMI, including cutting power at the wall (/PSU).
Actually, I got it fixed. It turned out to be the PSU. I thought my CX430 (which I had used in the past, it worked fine) was good, but when I swapped it out for another PSU I had lying around, miraculously everything worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.