Supermicro X10SL7-F - Wake on LAN How to get this done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xterminated

Dabbler
Hi all,

I am a Freenas User since the early 9 version.
2 weeks ago I upgraded my hardware from a non ECC setup to a complete Supermicro, Xeon, ECC based one.
The upgrade worked like a charm.

...but I can't get WOL running on my new machine.

Setup:
Supermicro X10SL7-F
32GB ESS Ram
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3
current FreeNAS release

I am pretty sure, the boards NICs support WOL.
Within the BIOS there is no option for that.

ifconfig does not offer me a WOL option for the internal Intel NICs

Sure, I can start the machine via IPMI, but that's not the way I need it to integrate it into my home automation setup.

Has anybody runnig Freenas on a Supermicro X10SL7-F with working WOL who can help me so get it running?

Your help is much appreciated!
Thanks a lot and happy Xmas :)

xterminated

Dabbler
Does nobody have an idea what I am doing wrong?
The installed nic chip is a:
  • Intel® i210AT dual port GbE Controllers
  • Supports 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T, RJ45 output
Thanks a lot and happy new year :)

xterminated

Dabbler
Yes, of course it's intended To run 24/7, but this one is for private use only.
While nobody is at home, there is no need to keep it on.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yes, of course it's intended To run 24/7, but this one is for private use only.
While nobody is at home, there is no need to keep it on.
Mines for home use only too. I don't run a business off of it, but I prefer to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on my drives, my friends and family enjoy my Plex, and I would rather let my freenas run all the health checks and jobs that it wants to run.

Shutting your server down too often isn't beneficial for anything.

xterminated

Dabbler
I understand your point.
I have To search for a new place to keep the server on 24/7. In his current position he is too noisy to keep him on.
But anyways, that doesn't solve my initial problem.

proto

Patron
I'm quite happy with ipmitool, if I really need to boot the server.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, the general problem here is that nearly nobody uses WOL to power on a FreeNAS server, so while it may work in some hardware configs, it doesn't in many others. Some effort had been put into making it work in the past, but the results usually seemed unhappy.

sroot

Dabbler
http://www.intel.co.uk/content/dam/...sheets/i210-ethernet-controller-datasheet.pdf

Key info copied below, but the formatting is mangled so best read from the PDF.

I've used WOL in the past to start individual computers remotely, but for servers I always used the IPMI (or equivalent). The magic packet was generated from a router and sent to a specific MAC address if I recall. It would work or not-work regardless of Operating System, entirely dependant on hardware support and correct setting in the BIOS. A quick read of the PDF I found suggests that support may not depend just upon the i210, but also whether the motherboard is setup to support WOL too. Note in 5.6.1 it says "..a feature that existed in earlier 10/100 Mb/s NICs"... and ..."now uses (if configured) an in-band PM_PME message.."

So, next I googled for your motherboard and found ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-X10-UP_1.13_for_Intel_X10_UP_platform/MANUALS/X10SL7-F.pdf . Searching that I found no reference to Wake on Lan, but did find one mention of APM power management as a BIOS setting, but no further detail as to if/how that works.

At this point, proto's suggestion of ipmitool seems worth investigating, at least if you need to script startup/shutdown.
Hope that helps

5.6.1 Advanced Power Management Wake Up Advanced Power Management Wake Up or APM Wakeup (also known as Wake on LAN) is a feature that existed in earlier 10/100 Mb/s NICs. This functionality was designed to receive a broadcast or unicast packet with an explicit data pattern, and then assert a subsequent signal to wake up the system. This was accomplished by using a special signal that ran across a cable to a defined connector on the motherboard. The NIC would assert the signal for approximately 50 ms to signal a wake up. The I210 now uses (if configured) an in-band PM_PME message for this functionality. On power up, the I210 reads the APM Enable bits from the Flash Initialization Control Word 3 into the APM Enable (APME) bits of the Wakeup Control (WUC) register. These bits control enabling of APM wake up. When APM wake up is enabled, the I210 checks all incoming packets for Magic packets. See Section 5.6.3.1.4 for a definition of Magic packets. Once the I210 receives a matching Magic packet, and if the WUC.APMPME bit or the PMCSR.PME_En bits are set to 1b and the WUC.APME bit is set to 1b it: • Sets the PME_Status bit in the PMCSR register and issues a PM_PME message (in some cases, this might require asserting the PE_WAKE_N signal first to resume power and clock to the PCIe interface). • Stores the first 128 bytes of the packet in the Wake Up Packet Memory (WUPM) register. • Sets the Magic Packet Received bit in the Wake Up Status (WUS) register. • Sets the packet length in the Wake Up Packet Length (WUPL) register. The I210 maintains the first Magic packet received in the Wake Up Packet Memory (WUPM) register until the software device driver writes a 1b to the WUS.MAG bit. If the WUC.EN_APM_D0 bit is set to 1b, APM wake up is supported in all power states and only disabled if a subsequent Flash read results in the WUC.APME bit being cleared or software explicitly writes a 0b to the WUC.APME bit. If the WUC.EN_APM_D0 bit is cleared APM wake-up is supported only in the D3 or Dr power states. Notes: 1. When the WUC.APMPME bit is set a wake event is issued (PE_WAKE_N pin is asserted and a PM_PME PCIe message is issued) even if the PMCSR.PME_En bit in configuration space is cleared. To enable disabling of system Wake-up when PMCSR.PME_En is cleared, the software device driver should clear the WUC.APMPME bit after power-up or PCIe reset. 2. If APM is enabled and the I210 is programmed to issue a wake event on the PCIe, each time a Magic packet is received, a wake event is generated on the PCIe interface even if the WUS.MAG bit was set as a result of reception of a previous Magic packet. Consecutive magic packets generate consecutive Wake events.

proto

Patron
Thanks sroot.

But the as jgreco and pirateghost suggested WOL (and even IPMI) is not the way to go for a 24h/7 server. A NAS especially.
Just look at crontab and periodic and you'll see a lot of system scripts launched normally when people sleep and when there in not so much traffic and/or connected clients.

If a daily server wake up is really needed, people should pay attention to those "hidden" features.

I use ipmi to start the server remotely in these circumstances only:
1. power loss (usually when it happens it's safer to shutdown my soho servers until power is stabilized: I had bad experience with an UPS in the past)
2. prolonged shutdown (holidays, no clients connected)
3. maintenance

So wol and ipmi should be considered as extrema ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.