Super NooB need help creating and configuring permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi digitalfortress -
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to do some testing to see what the problem could be. I'm not aware of any limit of only 5 users, that is really strange. I'll update here later after I test unless someone else has an explanation.

ProtoSD

MVP
Digitalfortress -

When you say you are logging in to the users, how are you doing that? I want to try the same way.
Why are you creating 11 common folders?
Are you using Windows? If so, which version?
I'm still a little confused about how you have things configured, but if you can answer my questions then I can continue to test. I looked through all of the CIFS related settings and didn't find anything limiting the number of users, but I don't know how you are trying to login so I can't test anything until I know.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
I have 11 users and 10 departments in my office. so i make the 10 departments as groups. So first i create 11 private folders for the 11 users on /mnt/storage/home/ and then i create 10 folders for each departments on /mnt/storage. i also create 10 groups named after each departments/shared folders. i then give each user permissions to access several shared folder by assigning auxillary groups to them. it works exactly like i meant it for the first 5 users that i create. the rest having "access denied".

I'm using windows 7 for my client PCs. Already tried using XP and still give me the same problem.

ProtoSD

MVP
digitalfortress,

Thanks, your explanation makes sense now. I still don't understand where you are seeing the 'access denied' what application are you using? When you say 'logging in' how are you doing that? Are you using CIFS/mapping a drive letter to each share? And each of your 11 users have different Windows accounts?

Thanks

digitalfortress

Dabbler
i'm using windows 7 and browse the shared folder from Computer-network-freenas. i don't know what it's called ;p each user have their own PC so i'm not using windows multiple accounts. if some users want to access his/her folder from other comp, he/she must first log out and then log in again so the windows will able to login into freenas share with new credential. i try that method and it works flawlessly for the first 5 user i created. the other six have access denied from every pcs. so i think the problem is not windows related. maybe i did something wrong in the setup ? but i'm 100% sure i have follow your instruction wxactly and it did work very well for the other 5 users. i even already try to start from scratch by installing the freenas system snd HDDs.

ProtoSD

MVP
It seems that all non-server versions of Windows, like Windows Home Premium, have a built in 5 user limit (10 concurrent connections). If you do a Google search for 'windows concurrent 5 user limit'. There are 10 connections allowed but 2 are used for each user, so that's why you are getting stuck at 5. There's a hack you can do on 'TCPIP.SYS', but you'll have to look for that on your own because I don't think it's appropriate to discuss the details here.

EDIT: Forget I said any of that, I haven't had my coffee yet! ;-) It can't be windows.

ProtoSD

MVP
Well I've been looking to try and find a clear answer about this a good part of the day today and have had trouble finding anything that says the limit is 5 users for smb/CIFS.

I found one parameter you can try setting in the GUI that *might* help. Here is a screenshot (click to enlarge).

smbdmax.jpg

Give that a try and let me know if it helps. Sorry about my lack of coffee confusion earlier!

digitalfortress

Dabbler
hi protosd,

i've tried to configure the auxiliary parameter and then reboot the freenas. IT DID granted access to 6th user now. but it still doesn't effect the other 5 users. so now i have 6 users working now. but despite everything, i'm so glad to hear that information from you. at least i can eliminate the possibility that i did some mistake in the setup process. looking forward to hear some solution from you for the other users left. i think this information will also do some favor for others whos setup more than 5 users.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks digitalfortress,

I'm glad to hear there was some improvement. Can you try increasing the number from 20 to something higher? Maybe 50? or have you tried that already? See if increasing that number allows more users, but not too much, not more than 100.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
protosd, i think i solve the problem. after configuring the auxiliary parameter, we must first delete all the user and then create it again. don't forget to configure folders owner by "chown". after that reboot the system and voila ;)

ProtoSD

MVP
So just to be clear, when you say delete all the users, you mean on the FreeNAS system from the GUI?
Also, what was the final value you used for the auxillary parameter?

It seems a little strange, but I'm glad you kept trying and between the two of us got it to work!

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Yep, i delete the users and then create it again from the GUI on freenas system. after that set the auxiliary group also from GUI and then setup the folder permission and owner again using ssh (i use putty) after that u must reboot the system. So in conclusion if you just setup your freenas and plan to user more than 5 users better set the CIFS auxiliary parameter first before doing anything else.

I use "max smbd processes = 80" for now. but i think anything between 50-80 will do for 11 users. i started from 100 and then reduce it slowly by 10. but i'm too lazy to try reduce it more ;p maybe i'll try again tomorrow. Thanks a lot protosd

Status
Not open for further replies.