Super NooB need help creating and configuring permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Hi,

I just build my first nas using freenas 8. i'll use this system for my office. So basically i need to create many users and a lot of folders. each users will have permission to access specific folders. i've try to tinker by my self, but i have many difficulties. i've try to create users, groups, and a few CIFS. But it didn't work like i want to. i must enable guess access in order to be able to access it from my win 7 client PC. and every folder (CIFS) i create show the same contents.

Can you guys help me from scrap step by step ? or point me some link that explain step by step guide to configure freenas 8. Because i'm totally new in this stuff.

My setup : 3x500GB WD caviar blue, Configure all of them with ZFS RAIDZ with "Volume1" as the name. The total available size is 1TB with RAIDZ

Thanks a lot guys.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
I've already tried that link and follow it. i don't understand that we should do the command line from Client PC or in the NAS system itself ? i've tried to ssh with putty from client PC when i type mkdir /mnt/storage/home/alpha it says "No such file or directory"

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Now i understand bout the command line. Sorry... My bad before. By the way i still not able to set the path when creating windows shares. the path available to select only /mnt/storage. there's no any available path to select beside that. but when i access with winSCP all the folder i've create in command line is existing. so i just try to select /mnt/storage as the path for all windows share that i create. i think it's working but it's a little strange because there are "alpha-beta" and "home" folders in each alpha, alpha-beta, and beta shares. But i do have access to read and write on the root of each shares.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and update the How-To later. The folder names I used were only meant as examples, so you have to change 'storage' to whatever your volume is called.

What version of FreeNAS are you using? It sounds like version 8.0, which would explain why you only see one path to select. This was a problem with 8.0 that has been fix in 8.01 beta4. (Another thing I need to fix in the How-To). I won't have time right now to look and see where you or I have made a mistake. Think about upgrading to 8.01 beta 4 if that's not what you are already using.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Downloading 8.0.1 beta4 in progress =p By the way what's the most stable ver of freeNAS if my requirement just for centralize data and not using it as media server ? Is it 0.7.2.6694 ? Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
I can't make any suggestions regarding FreeNAS .7. Version 8 doesn't have a media server yet, so if you just want to store your files and access them over you network I would say 8.01 beta 4 since you already mentioned wanting to split out your folders into separate shares. A lot of stuff isn't perfect in version 8.x, but the developers are probably working hard to try and iron stuff out since they've been a little quiet lately. It's still stable enough to do what you're asking though.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Downloading 8.0.1 beta4 in progress =p By the way what's the most stable ver of freeNAS if my requirement just for centralize data and not using it as media server ? Is it 0.7.2.6694 ? Thanks

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Sorry for double post. My internet error. Ok so i better stick with 8.0.1 beta4 then. i've installed 8.01 beta4 by the way. i'll try to follow your setup tutorial again. will let you know the result soon. Thanks a lot =)

digitalfortress

Dabbler
protosd, I followed your setup tutorial and it works great! although i still have a problem. let say i logged in to one of those private folder, let say alpha's folder and it works. but after that i want to open beta's folder with the same client PC, but it can't. it says that i don't have permission blablabla. i've tried to map it as a network drive, i select "use different credential" and i input user and pass for beta, but it still can't. please guide me for this problem. because i think after this problem solved, my job is done! =p

Also i have a question : is it possible to open same private folder (login) from several client PCs ? let say alpha accessing his private folder from several computers.

Thanks a lot protosd

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks, glad to hear it helped! I need to give some thought to the login credential problem because it should work, but I might be forgetting something simple.

Yes, you can have the same private folder open from several different PCs. Just remember, don't be editing the same file from 2 different places, reading or playing media files should be ok.

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm still thinking about this, what happens if beta logs in from a different computer? Does that work?
Is it only when you want to switch from 'alpha' to 'beta'?

digitalfortress

Dabbler
i have thinking bout the same as yours. i haven't try login as beta with another comp because my other comp is down at this moment for maintenance. but i will finish it today. i'll let you know again later.

digitalfortress

Dabbler
protosd, Sorry i've been very busy lately. i've try login as beta with other computer and it's work. I think the problem more windows related. it also work if i restart the PC and try login as different user.

ProtoSD

MVP
No problem, glad you figured out the problem. I think there's a trick to clear out the cache for your login credentials, I need to hunt that down and update here.

UPDATE:

Here's how you can clear your Cached User Credentials for Windows, from a DOS prompt. This could be useful if you want to use a different user to connect to a CIFS share for testing, or to force new credentials to be used to connect to a share:

Code:
rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Yeah i think it's windows related. Must restart the PC first if i want to change account or just simply log out the windows. Please update if you found the more convenient way. Thanks a lot for the help protosd :p

digitalfortress

Dabbler
Hey protosd, i try to configure 11 users, 10 groups, and 10 folders. When i try to login first to fifth users i worked. but when i try the sixth, seventh, eighth, etc users i didn't work. i already try to figure out my self, after 1-2 days i frustrated and start everything from scratch including installing the fresh freenas. but it still didn't work and the problem still exactly like before. I'm sure i already follow your tutorials exactly like it is. please help me

digitalfortress

Dabbler
by 10 folders i mean the shared folders. each 11 users have their private folders in "home". Exactly like your steps. i can't login even to the private folders using sixth, seventh, eighth, etc accounts. the first 5 users login successfully without any problem. is freenas didn't support users more than 5 ? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.