Sun Sun J4400 Storage Array 20 SAS 10K 4TB Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lutz

Dabbler
I've been using FreeNAS for the past year, and have run into an interesting application for FreeNAS. I'm looking to create a "mega store" for near-line backup. I have a Sun J4400 24 bay storage array with 21x 10K 4T drives, 3x 18GB, SSD's, and a Sun Fire X4140 Dual AMD Opteron 2384 Quad cores 2 x 2.75GHz with 64GB RAM. In that unit I have a single 128GB SSD and 5x 300GB SAS 15K drives.

I've configured the unit as follows:

FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 on 8GB pen drive

VOL01
20x 4TB SAS 10K disks RAIDZ - actually 2x10 4TB RAID groups as one volume
2x 18GB SSD LOG disks
1x 128GB SSD Cache disk

VOL02
5x 300GB SAS 15K disks RAIDZ
1x 18GB SSD LOG

1 spare 4TB SAS drive (Hot spare not possible with FreeNAS)

Any ideas on improvement? I only have about 3TB data on it now, and it seems to perform quite well, easily saturating the 4 onboard 1Gbit NICs. I do have a 4 port 10Gbit copper card, but no drivers for FreeNAS/FreeBSD exist for that NIC. I have ordered some Intel 10Gbit cards and will implement them when they arrive.

Nick Lutz

Dabbler
FYI: I tried to get FreeNAS to configure 3x 7disk RAID Z groups, but it refused to cooperate.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm a little concerned about the use of RAIDZ1 with the bigger disks, it's opening you up to failure risk during a resilver esp. with vdevs that wide.

Personally I'd configure VOL01 as two 10-drive RAIDZ2 vdevs (which also gives you 8 data disks for that nicely divisible data striping) and then add the mirrored SLOG/L2ARC SSDs.

VOL02 I'm OK with being RAIDZ1 as it's using smaller 15K disks that probably have a lower URE, and RAIDZ1 gives you a 4+1 setup for better striping.

Re: the NIC, 10Gbps support under FreeBSD/FreeNAS right now is a bit spotty, the only ones that reliably work are the Chelsio series I believe.

And if those are the 18GB SSDs I think they are (ZeusIOPS) consider me officially jealous. ;)

Hell, consider me jealous anyways, that system looks awesome.

Nick Lutz

Dabbler
They are ZeusIOPS... 1 of the 4 failed though... was a sad day! This was hardware that was sitting on the loading dock ready for surplus! I saw some potential and we now are using it daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.