Storage and Jails/VMs?

Dunuin

Contributor
Hi,

Today my Supermicro X10SLL-F with Xeon E3-1330v3 and 32GB ECC RAM will arrive. I already got a Fractale Design Define R4 with a 300W ATX PSU.
Now the Question is what Storage I should by. At the moment I've got 10TB of data I need to store and I don't have much money, so it should be as cheap as possible.
The NAS is only used by 1 or 2 users but I want to encrypt the disks and rum several applications in jails/VMs like Nextcloud and LAMP (both in a VM with an extra NIC into the DMZ), bittorrent, emby or plex and a minecraft server.

My idea was to use 5x 4TB WD Red Retail (130€ each) as RaidZ1 as NAS Storage and media library. 2x 240GB SSDs (28€ each) mirrored as FreeNAS system drives and for the jails/VMs, 1x 480GB SSD (52€) as a cache partition so the harddrives don't need to spin up every time a client asks for a common file (I hoped to save some disk life).

If I would buy 2 additional 1TB 2,5" drives (35€ each) and want to use them mirrored, is it possible to mount the same mirrored array inside the Nextcloud VM as storage for the data folder and inside a bittorrent jail, so both bittorrent and nextcloud can use the same 1TB of space? Seperate inaccessible folders would be ok, I just don't want to use fixed sizes. The idea was again to save some energy and disk life of the expensive WD reds. Until now I'm using RaspberryPis as Nextcloud and bittorrent servers and there it is easy to seperate the system files (flash storage) and data storage (USB HDD) but I don't know if it is possible in the VMs/jails to mount folders from different drives.

And I need more SATA ports for all the drives because the mainboard only got 6 of them. I've read several posts about people who flashed the LSI IT mode firmware onto a Dell PERC H310 which only costs 35€ + 15€ for the two "SFF-8087 to 4x SATA cables". Does someone know if all H310s are able to be flashed with the newest firmware so it can be used with FreeNAS?

And are the WD reds really worth the money? I've read so much user reviews of people who got a bunch of them and multiple drives failed after only months which is why they recommended to buy only the more expensive retail drives, because otherwise WD wont accept the 3 years warranty. If I would buy normal drives, I would get 4x 8TB fore the same money as 5x 4TB WD reds. In both cases I could use 16TB RaidZ1 and even if one of the 8TB drives fails, I would got a spare one which is not the case if I would use the 4TB WD reds.