Suggestions required for Upgrade Options!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
X9 series work fine with Kingston.. As others have said avoid with x10
I'd avoid Kingston on principle now. And are current-production Kingston modules the same as the older ones that worked OK?

Stick to what's on the Supermicro Tested Memory List.

diedrichg

Wizard
I purchased my upgrade parts back in early June and I knew full well the sleazy tactics by Kingston. But because Crucial wasn't on the list, the Samsung and Hynix modules were cost prohibitive, and Kingston worked perfectly in the past; I went with the Kingston via NewEgg.

The modules I received have Hynix chips on them and they have been stable now for about 6 weeks. I know I took a gamble and I supported the devil but I came out okay. I would advise you don't do what I did, though, as you may not be as lucky.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I purchased my upgrade parts back in early June and I knew full well the sleazy tactics by Kingston. But because Crucial wasn't on the list, the Samsung and Hynix modules were cost prohibitive, and Kingston worked perfectly in the past; I went with the Kingston via NewEgg.

The modules I received have Hynix chips on them and they have been stable now for about 6 weeks. I know I took a gamble and I supported the devil but I came out okay. I would advise you don't do what I did, though, as you may not be as lucky.

Fortunately, (at least for X10s), Crucial's recommended 1.35V DIMMs are in fact the exact same thing that Supermicro recently tested under the Micron brand, so Crucial is now on the list, for all practical purposes.

JambaFun

Cadet

Out of curiosity, how could you tell they were Hynix chips? Are they labeled?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Chips are typically silkscreened with basic information, like manufacturer, production date and model. The module may report being Hynix, if it's just a rebadge, too.

diedrichg

Wizard
6ygu3a3e.jpg

Z300M

Guru
Is it significant that Kingston markets those modules as 1.5V, whereas those specific chips are the ones in the 1.35Vmodules on Supermicro's list? Hynix manages to get them working OK on 1.35V whereas Kingston's implementation needs a higher voltage? What is different about Kingston's support chip(s) and/or board layout?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is it significant that Kingston markets those modules as 1.5V, whereas those specific chips are the ones in the 1.35Vmodules on Supermicro's list? Hynix manages to get them working OK on 1.35V whereas Kingston's implementation needs a higher voltage? What is different about Kingston's support chip(s) and/or board layout?

Normally I'd say its not significant since the JEDEC spec says that 1.35v RAM must function at 1.5v. But considering the history of Kingston recently, who knows. I think anything we think we know is really nothing more than conjecture and theory. We'll never know the true story most likely. And since I like to stick to verifiable and proven facts I don't know how this changes my opinion at all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.