Suggestions required for Upgrade Options!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a system with
1. Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache
2. Intel DH67cl motherboard with 16 GB ECC Ram Samsung
3. 10 x 3 TB hard disk (seagate sv35) configured in raidz2
4. samsung 120 GB ssd cache drive attached to the pool.

I am using FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64.img

Now I want to upgrade the RAM to 32 GB ECC and change the motherboard as well as processor to server grades which I am still discussing with the vendors for a better pricing.

I may use Intel Xeon Cpu E5 -2620 v2 @2.10Ghz and also connect a JBOD in due course of time.

Questions & doubts now??

My present system holds data in it: some 12 TB.
I just want to know, if I change the motherboard + Processor + RAM - complete change
I won't change the Hard disk's for the time being and the USB pendrive from which I am booting FreeNAS : Will it affect my pool? I mean will I lose the data lying in the volume?

Will my hardware upgrade affect my vdev with 12 TB data in it???

Thankx..

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, your hardware upgrade won't affect your data. It shouldn't even affect your FreeNAS installation--you should be able to just boot your new hardware from your USB stick and go. To be on the safe side, though, make sure you've downloaded a copy of your config database.

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
Yes you mean the configuration file...Yes I already have it and would save it again before upgrading...
Thanks!

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
Ok! thats something important I come to know...It means after changing the hardware..I can boot my system and auto import the pool...right??And if I have the configuration file I just need to upload it...

Thanks,..

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
One more thing I would like to confirm here...Presently I have two Ram sticks installed 8GB x 2 =16 GB (Samsung ECC DDR3 1600 MHZ)

I have two more sticks with me 8GB x 2 = 16GB, but the brand is different. Its Kingston. Can I use it in my system to upgrade it to 32 GB all total.

Does using different brands of RAM creates problem or can be used without any problem or else I have to buy same brand samsung..please suggest...??

thanks...

jamiejunk

Contributor
I don't think the brands matter as much as the specs/speed etc of the ram. It's all pretty much made by only three companies anyways.
On a side note, if you are looking to increase performance having only 1 vdev may be a limiting factor for you. At least for writes. No matter how many drives are in one vdev, you only get the write performance for one drive. So even though you have 10 drives you are limited to the write speed of one drive.

I love freenas as much as the next guy, but always have a backup of your pool.

Z300M

Guru
One more thing I would like to confirm here...Presently I have two Ram sticks installed 8GB x 2 =16 GB (Samsung ECC DDR3 1600 MHZ)

I have two more sticks with me 8GB x 2 = 16GB, but the brand is different. Its Kingston. Can I use it in my system to upgrade it to 32 GB all total.

Does using different brands of RAM creates problem or can be used without any problem or else I have to buy same brand samsung..please suggest...??

thanks...
If you've stated what new motherboard you have in mind, I've missed it. If it's a Supermicro X10-series board, keep in mind that Kingston now has no 8GB memory modules that they recommend for those boards (other than the boards that take only two sticks anyway). And Supermicro never had Kingston memory on their recommended list.

So mixing brands should not be a problem, as long as both kinds of module are suitable for the new motherboard.

Oh, well, since you're thinking of an E5 Xeon, I guess it's not a Supermicro X10 board.

titan_rw

Guru
I'm surprised your existing ecc ram works in that MB with that CPU. I assume you realize you're not actually utilizing the ecc capabilities of the current ram right?

Upgrading to an ecc capable system would definitely be highly recommended here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If in doubt, don't go Kingston.

Z300M

Guru
I am looking at a motherboard Supermicro X9SRL - F. But I don't know whether Kingston Ram will be supported by this board.
Link: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRL-F.cfm
I looked at only a few of the categories of memory on Supermicro's recommended list for that motherboard, but I saw Hynix in every category, Samsung in some, and Micron in one. I suppose you could run some extensive tests with the Kingston memory, both on its own and together with the Samsung; if you see no errors, then maybe it's OK to use the Kingston.

Of course, even the Samsung memory you have may not be the specific kind on Supermicro's list.

Knowltey

Patron
Upgrade the RAM, 16GB is borderline for that zpool, plus you really shouldn't be using SSDs for caches until you've maximized the amount of RAM your motherboard supports. It can actually degrade performance rather than help it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowltey

Patron
If in doubt, don't go Kingston.

Is Kingston known to be unreliable or such? I was looking at Kingston RAM for my next planned upgrade, is that a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z300M

Guru
Is Kingston known to be unreliable or such? I was looking at Kingston RAM for my next planned upgrade, is that a bad idea?
Kingston was one of the reputable brands -- at least in my book. But not so long ago there were reports of Kingston sending out SSDs for review, getting glowing reviews, then substituting inferior components while keeping the same part/model number. As for their RAM, they used to promote the KVR16E11/8EF modules as verified compatible by an outside authority for the Supermicro X10-series motherboards. The day after I ordered mine, those modules disappeared from the recommended list, and only a short while later they were discontinued altogether. Kingston Tech Support says the problem occurred only when using four of those modules, and indeed I have detected no problems with my two -- but what will happen if/when I want to add another two 8GB modules?

Kingston now has no 8GB modules at all on their recommended list for the X10-series boards (except perhaps for the ones that can accommodate only two modules anyway).

Kingston RAM was never on Supermicro's Tested Memory List, but I believed Kingston's claims, having used their products in the past without problems.

Stick with the modules recommended by the manufacturer of the motherboard.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, what Z300M said. ^^^

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Kingston was one of the reputable brands -- at least in my book. But not so long ago there were reports of Kingston sending out SSDs for review, getting glowing reviews, then substituting inferior components while keeping the same part/model number. As for their RAM, they used to promote the KVR16E11/8EF modules as verified compatible by an outside authority for the Supermicro X10-series motherboards. The day after I ordered mine, those modules disappeared from the recommended list, and only a short while later they were discontinued altogether. Kingston Tech Support says the problem occurred only when using four of those modules, and indeed I have detected no problems with my two -- but what will happen if/when I want to add another two 8GB modules?

Kingston now has no 8GB modules at all on their recommended list for the X10-series boards (except perhaps for the ones that can accommodate only two modules anyway).

Kingston RAM was never on Supermicro's Tested Memory List, but I believed Kingston's claims, having used their products in the past without problems.

Stick with the modules recommended by the manufacturer of the motherboard.

This exactly. I was planning on Kingston (they had been my default choice for many years, both for RAM and USB drives), just beginning to research my build when the "scandal" broke out.

At the time, we didn't know who had done the shady dealings, but it's since been revealed that they did a very similar thing with SSDs, replacing good models with new revisions that didn't get half the performance of the old ones. That's enough for me to avoid them like the plague.

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
Hi,

I have installed two 8gb Ram modules of Kingston ECC (12800R) along with the two already installed earlier samsung 8GB modules in the same system.

Till now I don't see any problem..and the system is working fine...My system is now having total of 32 GB Ram..

Thanks,

Yatti420

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.