clamschlauder

Dabbler
Hello all,

Machine specs:
SM X8DA3 with 2 E5520's
24GB ECC Ram
(2) m1015 with P20 Firmware
FreeNAS 9.3.1

Current pool layout: 2 separate pools shown below.
8x3TB RaidZ3
4x3TB RaidZ2

This system is a system I have inherited at work. We do Industrial CT XRay data collection and inspection. Datasets for us can be on average about 30GB per part. Sometime soon we will possibly see a 4x of those datasets with larger detector panels. This NAS is not intended for heavy usage but more for a longer term storage. We intend to keep all projects on our specific PCs and after completion (or close to completion) they will transfer to the NAS. After a certain time period, data will be deleted off of the NAS. Performance regarding data transfer speed is important. I will be attempting setting up Link Aggregation with 2 managed 16 port switches.

The way that the 2 pools are split up now is (1) sensitive customer data and (2) "sharable" data that doesn't have an NDA involved.

My thoughts about what will shape my setup:

1. I think I am content with Z2.
2. Do I need 2 separate pools? Seems that the only downfall of 1 pool would be in a catastrophic event where everything would be lost in the 1 pool, but backups should cover that. I can set up permissions to deal with folders and such. Is that the only downfall??
3. Since Z3 seems to be lowest performer of all of them would I expect a more noticeable performance gain with doing 1 pool with say.... 3 vdevs with 4 drives each in Z2? Obviously I lose a lot of drive utilization there. Or even 2 vdevs with 6 or 7 drives in each with a Z2 raid. I haven't really found any info based on people talking about striping Z2 vdevs in a pool over other solutions.
4. Read write speed is somewhat important. I would like to achieve at least 100MB/s if possible. Again, not super critical but lets say for instance a customer calls and we have to download the data to our pc, we dont want data transfer at 5MB/s waiting forever.

Any other info or references to other posts would be great. Thanks for the help in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.