Importing data onto new FreeNAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Hughes

Dabbler
I'm part way into building my first FreeNAS system but am currently waiting to find how how to move data from my old system to the FreeNAS with minimum risk of losing it.

The system was previously running under windows with 4 drives in RAID 5 on a RocketRaid 2720 card. I've upgraded my previous system with extra drives and RAM and installed FreeNAS.
The FreeNAS will be running 2 separate Pools,
Pool 1 (already up and running) = 6 new drives in RAID Z2
Pool 2 (to be made once data is safe) = 2 new drives + 4 existing drives from on RocketRAID in RAID Z2

Can I simple plug in my RocketRAID and import the volume (which should appear as one drive) to transfer the data from the RocketRAID into the pool 1 mentioned above?
Will this be safe to to?

I will then use the drives to build my second pool once the data is safe. I don't have any easy access to another PC in order to plug the card into that and transfer it over the network.

Thanks

INCSlayer

Contributor
im guessing that you have some sort of windows filesystem on the drives?

Max Hughes

Dabbler
im guessing that you have some sort of windows filesystem on the drives?

As far as I'm aware they should be in NTFS as that's the windows default. They are not currently on a window machine to check but if needed as can remove the FreeNAS boot drive and boot into widows from another boot drive I have to check.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You should be able to assuming freenas works with that card....

Status
Not open for further replies.