Pool Layout Suggestions Please

cmdematos

Dabbler
Hello, I have 4 3TB SAS drives (7200rpm) and 4 SATA drives (7200 rpm) and 8 256Gb Samsung 840 PRO drives being driven by 2x Dell Perc H330 in IT mode.

I had planned to create 2 pools with each set of HDDs and give them each a RAID10 span of 4x 250Gb drives for SLOG and L2ARC. Is this optimal?

I am serving NFS and CIFS and some small amount of iscsi, it is the storage subsystem of a 3 compute node Kubernetes cluster.

This is not high volume (no crazy write amounts) but top performance and reliability are important. Not important enough to change out the SSDs for something else, but important nevertheless. Also important - low maintenance. I would prefer one large volume if that was preferable and a superior choice to meet my goals with.

Is there a better layout? Should I be pooling all the drives together? (Should get an extra set of 4x 3TB SAS drives and lose the SATA?) and stripe 4x SSD mirrored instead of 2x SSDs mirrorred (one pool with 8 drives instead of 4). Is there a way to add all 3Tb and 2Tb drives in one pool with no capacity losses?

I am planning to put all my SSDs on one H330 (PCIe3 x16 slot) and all HDDs on the other (PCIe2 x16 slot)

In general, is it better to have larger pools and all the same drives, or should I create two pools with L2ARC and SLOG?

Should I be doing something else?

I understand the question is broad, I am trying to seed ideas and am interested in your thinking.

This is for a home lab, it runs some ERP systems, some databases, ELK stack and off-course, the continuous integration server. But there are not a lot of developers (only me for now) so not a lot of load. But this is for part-time/fun-time work, I dont want to wait on IO and since I only spend 2-4 hours a day, speed is important! Memory is generally 1Gb per Tb of HDD storage.

Last edited: