Stuck before I start - Downloading 9.2.1.8 USB Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmy

Dabbler
It's an internet forum, I get that.. I work for one of the world's biggest Server/PC vendors so know all to well about support, in fact I'm dealing with a support call for one of my customers this week. I also know what server hardware really is, and I'm not prepared to spend thousands for something I haven't been able to test first. I also understand all the differences in hardware configurations that can cause issues with software.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can definitely run it in a VM. 9.3 doesn't go well in a VM currently and performance in a VM obviously won't reflect real hardware. I learned how to use it in a VM, and it's a great way to test the OS without spending a dime on hardware. :)

Palmy

Dabbler
BTW... booting off a Windows 8.1 USB key does work, so at the very least, my hardware configuration is stable enough to boot off of a USB key. I will try a different USB Key for the freenas image.

Palmy

Dabbler
You can definitely run it in a VM. 9.3 doesn't go well in a VM currently and performance in a VM obviously won't reflect real hardware. I learned how to use it in a VM, and it's a great way to test the OS without spending a dime on hardware. :)
Great idea, thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right. The problem most desktop users have is that the bootload for FreeBSD/FreeNAS tries to do things that desktop BIOSes don't support properly. So it gets nowhere fast.

Palmy

Dabbler
Hmm interesting:

3. What do I need to get started with FreeNAS?
To use FreeNAS, you'll need standard PC hardware with a 64-bit processor and at least 8GB of RAM, a 4GB USB Flash drive, and a FreeNAS installation file. Either write FreeNAS directly to the flash drive or boot the CD installer to have it done for you. Point your web browser at the IP address of the FreeNAS system and you're good to go! Read the FreeNAS Documentation for more information.

Mlovelace

Guru
You could check with the iMac or a partition manager that the image was infact written to the usb flash drive.

Last edited:

Palmy

Dabbler
good point... I deleted all partitions on the USB key and loaded the image again using Win32DiskImager.

It still doesn't boot, and I have noticed the USB key has the following partitions: (It's an 8GB USB key)

1. 943MB Active Partition
2. 943MB Primary Partition
3. A small partition with no visible size
4. 20MB partition
5. 5.6GB of unallocated space

Is this all expected?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm interesting:

3. What do I need to get started with FreeNAS?
To use FreeNAS, you'll need standard PC hardware with a 64-bit processor and at least 8GB of RAM, a 4GB USB Flash drive, and a FreeNAS installation file. Either write FreeNAS directly to the flash drive or boot the CD installer to have it done for you. Point your web browser at the IP address of the FreeNAS system and you're good to go! Read the FreeNAS Documentation for more information.

Yeah. We know. The FAQ is in the process of being rewritten. :P

Mlovelace

Guru
Is the usb flash drive listed as a boot volume in the bios? Is the bios up-to-date? Try disabling the motherboard features that aren't used (sound for example, or wifi). Does the boot process hang or it doesn't even start?

Apollo

Wizard
Is FreeBSD server grade?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Apollo

Wizard
Are you using UEFI, and secure boot? If so disable them and see if you boot.
About you partition, this seems right.
Do you have a spare Hard drive you could use as a boot device?

Palmy

Dabbler
Is the usb flash drive listed as a boot volume in the bios? Is the bios up-to-date? Try disabling the motherboard features that aren't used (sound for example, or wifi). Does the boot process hang or it doesn't even start?
USB key is listed - YES
BIOS up to date
M/B features disabled (no wifi)
Boot process doesn't start, just a black screen after BIOS post - when using Windows 8.1 USB key, it boots in fine.

Palmy

Dabbler
Are you using UEFI, and secure boot? If so disable them and see if you boot.
About you partition, this seems right.
Do you have a spare Hard drive you could use as a boot device?

UEFI/Secure boot are disabled
Thanks - re. partition
I may have a spare USB external drive I can test with... I'll check.

Apollo

Wizard
ECC RAM isn't required to boot. But if you aren't using ECC you are basically implying that you are using desktop parts. By saying you are using desktop parts you are also saying that it might not boot FreeNAS, it might boot and crash, or other things that just don't happen to "everyone else".

You are literally on an island by yourself with nobody to support you because those of us with experience in FreeNAS use proper hardware. That means server-grade and ECC RAM. ;)

I'd bet money your problem is that you are using desktop hardware when that's not recommended or supported by FreeNAS. :p

Very much people attitude about Windows vs. NIX, Intel vs. APPLE, ECC vs. non ECC RAM, nuclear vs charcoal powerplant, race car vs sedan and so on and on.
Granted server grade is by definition supposed to be more reliable but definitely not fail/compatible proof, otherwise every single ECC-RAM manufacturer and Motherboard would guaranty full compatibility.
The way I see it, a server is designed to take on limited function such as Web server, firewall, files erver. So they are tested hopefully to death in a very specific environment and with very specific hardware. Beyond that, well I would say you are on your own.
Also, it seems server grade hardware will get full support if you buy hardware for a business, not for home use.
I wouldn't expect to find server grade system for the ISS or spacecrafts and satellites going into space. Definitely server grade is not going to perform any better than desktop computers. You will need harden hardware for that.

I noticed there always is animosity and discord on both side on the barrier due to divergence of opinions.

Apollo

Wizard
Use SATA drive if you can this will allow to test on a different approach and take USB out of the loop.
I noticed you have DVI and VGA, is it possible the system is switching between either video output?
Are you sure your monitor is not turning off on it's own (maybe not server grade moitor, then I have never seen or heard of server grade monitor as they usually use serial com instead, or IPMI and such with a dedicated workstation, or server station).
Could it be the video resolution of you monitor?
Last, would it be posible to know as much as what is being displayed at POST, this might give us some clue to what is happening. If you could actually take a server grade picture, that would be even better.

Apollo

Wizard
One thing though, network administrator (the server grade one, if that even exist) do spend lots of money on seeping cups of coffee all day. I am just wondering if they actually rely on server grade coffee machine and beans? probably not from what I know about North American coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.