SOLVED Struggling with a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonewolf

Dabbler
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my problem, I'm very much still learning to use freeness, ssh, jails and plugins. I have been using google and the search bar here but however exact or loosely I search I'm still unable or blindly not seeing how I use openVPN within the transmission jail. i follow these instructions,

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-a-jail-so-it-only-connects-to-the-vpn.18669/

after using pkg install bash, nano & open vpn

Instructions then say I can use jexec n bash ('n' being my transmission jail) to 'drop into the bash shell'

when I do this i have this -

jexec 2 bash[root@freenas ~]# jexec 2 bash
Shared object "libiconv.so.2" not found, required by "bash"

for love nor money can I find a guide which will bring me beyond this line, I'm in no doubt that this is a simple fix that is simply out-with my current point of understanding. I'm very keen to learn and if you're able to teach or point in the correct direction it will be appreciated.

BuildFreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503120630
PlatformAMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 7333 MB
one 2TB drive (more will come once I'm properly familiar with freenas)
1 volume set in stripe layout
plex & transmission plugins/jail

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
What happens if you click on the jail in the web GUI and then click on the shell icon (at the bottom, right on the left of the delete icon)?

lonewolf

Dabbler
What happens if you click on the jail in the web GUI and then click on the shell icon (at the bottom, right on the left of the delete icon)?

It still comes with the same [Shared object "libiconv.so.2" not found, required by "bash"]

I even started from the beginning making sure everything was installed and typed correctly, with such a n00b understanding I'm sure I'm able to follow the multiple guides that are available however every time, I'm halted here. I even tried to just ignore it and continue but it just progresses into further issues which I'm sure are a result of this.

Bidule0hm

Well this command let you to open a shell inside a jail so if you don't do it you'll stay in the main system shell so obviously if you ignore this command and continue to follow the guide you'll do all the next commands on the main system and not in the jail, not a good thing... :D protip: never ignore a command in a tuto/guide unless you know exactly what you're doing, just stop and search the solution to the problem and if still doesn't work, ask for help ;)

Now I remember a thread where I saw a lib error and it was this lib too IIRC. I'll search and edit if I can find it ;)

Edit: found: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-connects-to-the-vpn.18669/page-6#post-181506 :)

So the best solution is just to use another shell (/bin/csh for example) because you don't need to install another package (the less you modify the system, the better...) ;)

Last edited:

lonewolf

Dabbler
Well this command let you to open a shell inside a jail so if you don't do it you'll stay in the main system shell so obviously if you ignore this command and continue to follow the guide you'll do all the next commands on the main system and not in the jail, not a good thing... :D protip: never ignore a command in a tuto/guide unless you know exactly what you're doing, just stop and search the solution to the problem and if still doesn't work, ask for help ;)

Now I remember a thread where I saw a lib error and it was this lib too IIRC. I'll search and edit if I can find it ;)

Edit: found: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-connects-to-the-vpn.18669/page-6#post-181506 :)

So the best solution is just to use another shell (/bin/csh for example) because you don't need to install another package (the less you modify the system, the better...) ;)

now that clears up why i just encountered further errors, thank you.

I was able to progress further with typing in /bin/csh however when I reached the point of configuring openvpn to use PIA, i use the next command from this tutorial

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ng-pia-with-username-and-password-auth.23659/

and end up with this error
root@transmission_1:/ # nano /etc/rc.conf
Shared object "libiconv.so.2" not found, required by "libintl.so.8"

any ideas on this one ? proper happy I've progressed further, few steps closer to a private transmission.

Bidule0hm

Now you are in the jail you can install the package with pkg install libiconv because your are isolated from the main system so it's not a big deal (the worst thing you can do is mess up the jail, but it's just a jail so you can delete it and recreate it) or a better solution is again to use another editor than nano, I know there is ee and probably vi preinstalled too ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd do 'pkg upgrade' inside the jail rather than 'pkg install libiconv'--upgrade should reconcile any dependencies and bring everything up to the latest version.

lonewolf

Dabbler
I'd do 'pkg upgrade' inside the jail rather than 'pkg install libiconv'--upgrade should reconcile any dependencies and bring everything up to the latest version.

Thanks for this top tip ! pkg install libiconv was helpful as it allowed me to proceed but i continued to run into other problems afterwards at various stages. Did 'pkg upgrade' and everything went very smoothly afterwards from an untouched jail with transmission, now running a vpn successfully. Next task is to get the vpn more secure.

Thanks for the help and advice Problem Solved !!

Status
Not open for further replies.