Strange things happening with windows shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie Walhouse

Dabbler
Hi,
I'm using freenas 9.3 with windows server 2012, if I create a windows share in freenas and tell it the owner is jamie and group is domain users and log into my windows computer using the jamie account it won't allow me to make changes to files in this share even though I have given jamie@mydomain full access it tells me I don't have permission.
If I log into the jamie account on my windows server it works fine ????
If I log into my pc using the domain server admin account it also works fine ???
my Jamie account has the same access as domain admin account so this is really strange.
If I look at the folder properties in windows it shows that jamie should have full access, it shows domain users as having full access as well, it also have another user which is everyone, this only has ready access.
if I try to change access from my PC it fails, it however lets me change it from the windows server.
If I change the everybody user to have write access it now lets me write files to the folder on my PC.
I would like the account to allow jamie to write to the folder and other domain users to have only read access, so allowing everybody write access is not ideal.
It functions as expected from my server but not my PC, but also functions as expected if I log in as admin on my PC even though jamie account has same access level.
I suspect it's something to do with the PC but why does it work with the other account ok.
If anyone has some ideas to try it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jamie

Jamie Walhouse

Dabbler
Hi dlavigne,
No which is rather annoying as I've had to give everyone write access to a folder that I don't want too, otherwise I can't write to it either.
I've done a few minor freenas updates recently so I might check it again, I doubt it will fix the problem as I suspect it's something to do with either the pc or user.
Will let you know if it's now working as expected.

Jamie Walhouse

Dabbler
Hi again,
The updates didn't fix the problem but I worked out what was happening :smile:
Mapped drives were using freenas user names and passwords, they connected up ok but when looking on windows server, computer management, shared folders, Sessions.
It had the user connected to the share as nobody, removing the mapped drives and setting them up again fixed my problems.
It's working as expected now, YIPPEE.

Status
Not open for further replies.