Strange permissions issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak

Cadet
Hi There,

I have a bit of an odd one I am looking at today.

Basically the setup is this. I have a Freenas server that has a CIFS share on it. That share is mapped through to a Netgear Readynas share. It is an Archive folder so doesn't need to be on this main Freenas server.
But the problem I seem to be having is this.

My Freenas is joined to the domain and on other shares that are based on the server allow me to do the domain permissions as I want. But when I try to set the domain permissions on this share (after I have mapped it through from the Readynas), then it only allows the permissions that linux allows. So Read, Read/Write and Full. If I go through windows and try to set the permissions in between it just reverts back to what it was originally set as.
But what is strange is that the permissions that are there are inherited from the Freenas volume, so the domain user group is on there.

I have tried to Winscp onto the box and set the permissions there, which it will do, but then it is only those standard permissions. For this folder as it is an archive I need people to have read/write but no delete option.
Like I said, works fine allowing me to do that on any share based on the server, but just not this one that is mapped through to another server.

Oh and just for the record. I have set the permissions on the Netgear to allow access, even browsed to that folder directly and tried setting the permissions there. But I think they are different permissions as it is using CIFS to browse through windows directly, but when it is mounting through the Freenas it is using NFS.
Or could that be causing the problem as it being mapped through NFS, but it is setup as a CIFS share?

Caesar

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.