Cannot set AD permissions...errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
Hey everyone!

So I'm really getting close to bringing my Sun x4500 Thumper box back to life, but it seems I'm continually hitting one little snag or another. My issue now is that I cannot set any permissions. The permissions window doesn't even come up.

20130530_PermissionsError.png

I had to run the 9.1 Alpha version so FreeNAS would see the disk controllers. This is an old box from 2006, but the controllers aren't supported by the current production release of FreeNAS. I realize that this is an Alpha release, so anything may happen. If that's the case...I fully understand it. But I'm hoping there might be a workaround so I can test some basic CIFS functionality.

I've been able to successfully query AD. Via command line, I can get all the users and groups without fail. I can create a CIFS share. I get the above error as soon as the system is added to my domain when I try and configure CIFS service or click on the permissions of my volume or dataset. When I try and manage permissions through my Windows client, it fails to set the permissions...access denied.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just wondering, but how much RAM does that system have? ZFS is a memory hog, and typically a system from 2006 won't always make the cut.

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. I've got 16GB of DDR2 memory in that box and two dual-core Opteron 285 CPUs. The box should have enough power and memory to host a couple non-deduped shares.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure how many TB of storage you have, but I had to go from 12GB of RAM to 20GB of RAM with my 18xRAIDZ3 array of 2TB drives(30TB total) for a single user server.

Considering the number of drives that thing supports you could quickly find yourself very short on RAM.

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
Hmmm...well, I've got 48, 500GB SATA disks. I probably could up the memory which is never a bad thing, but considering I really haven't set up any large ZFS Volume yet, I don't think that is a problem. If I turn off AD and have the system removed from the domain, I can get the permissions settings to display normally. With AD on, I can't even see domain users or groups in the GUI. Obviously as seen above, I can't even set permissions with AD turned on. All AD users and gruops are present in the command line without issue.

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
Well...after submitting a bug, I was told I'm on a very old Alpha release. I found the binaries on sourceforge so I updated to the 05/29 alpha release for 9.1 The CIFS service configuration error is gone. I can also configure permissions on the volume or dataset without the window error coming up. However, I still can't pull all my AD users from the drop down (only 50 or so show up underneath the local system users). I can't seem to pull ANY groups from the drop down. I was at one point able to specify owner group as domain\domain admins and it held successfully. The second time I went into the permissions on the dataset, everything was set back to default root/wheel. I had to go into the command line to change owner user and group. Kudos to http://blog.kernbits.com/2012/freenas-active-directory Once I did that, the share became configurable for me from my windows client.

I'm fairly confident stuff like this will get worked out as the 9.1 release continues to be improved.

jason56k

Cadet
I'm new to Freenas and on the latest release 9.2.1.3. I am starting to figure out that there may be some Active Directory issues in the 9.2.1.x releases. I'm beginning to think no one has a working Active Directory connection to their freenas

mauirixxx

Explorer
I'm new to Freenas and on the latest release 9.2.1.3. I am starting to figure out that there may be some Active Directory issues in the 9.2.1.x releases. I'm beginning to think no one has a working Active Directory connection to their freenas

What? Just because you're having problems doesn't mean anyone else hasn't figured out how to do make it work. You posted in bigphil's thread, where he made it work with server 2012. I started on FreeNAS v9.1.1 and integrated it into my Server 2008 R2 setup at home, then upgraded through multiple releases, holding steady at v9.2.1.3. I even documented how to do it on my own internal wiki then posted it for others to possibly benefit from it.

Don't give up, if you're going to "give" anything, give more info, and don't necro an old thread from almost a year ago.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't give up, if you're going to "give" anything, give more info, and don't necro an old thread from almost a year ago.

ZING!

Status
Not open for further replies.