strange messages with all the disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickygm

Explorer
Hi forum , I am building a new nas with freenas 11-rc3 and I am receiving some messages:

GEOM: da0: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: da0: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.
GEOM: da1: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: da1: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.
GEOM: da2: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: da2: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.
GEOM: da4: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: da4: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.
GEOM: da5: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: da5: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

all the disks are new , any idea that could be happening?

upload system images , regards

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 249
  • zpool.png
    zpool.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 240

rs225

Guru
Since you aren't using partitions on your pool, there probably is no partition table. Therefore this error is expected and can be ignored.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

rickygm

Explorer
Since you aren't using partitions on your pool, there probably is no partition table. Therefore this error is expected and can be ignored.

Ok let me understand, you mean gpart create -s gpt da0, da1 etc etc? , I create partitions on all hard disks.

if I am wrong, I hope it can be corrected.

regards

Stux

MVP
If you're using the GUI, don't worry about it. I think it's a normal side effect of the formatting process

rickygm

Explorer
If you're using the GUI, don't worry about it. I think it's a normal side effect of the formatting process

Hi Stux, I create the pool from the cli, import the volume from the gui, my fear is that it may have problems, those messages are strange

danb35

Hall of Famer
Since you aren't using partitions on your pool
How would that be possible? Unless he manually set the swap space to 0, every disk in a pool created by FreeNAS is partitioned.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
How would that be possible? Unless he manually set the swap space to 0, every disk in a pool created by FreeNAS is partitioned.
I'm with danb here. I have no idea what's going on.
Is the user partitioning his own disks? And if so, why?

rickygm

Explorer
I return the initial question, why FreeNAS shows these messages?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
GEOM shows that message when you write over the primary gpt table. Maybe with a dd command.

pschatz100

Guru
What is your system... I don't see any specs. Are you attaching the disks directly to the motherboard?

rickygm

Explorer
What is your system... I don't see any specs. Are you attaching the disks directly to the motherboard?

Hi in my first post I put my spec, motherboard Supermicro X10SL7-F uATX , all disk connected on sas port

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I return the initial question, why freenas shows these messages?

I recognized such messages as I replaced the two devices of my boot pool by other ones, once for each device and then never again (in FreeNAS-11.0-U2).
Code:
~ # zcat /var/log/messages.0.bz2 | grep -e "primary GPT" -e "using the second"
Sep  2 17:52:38 blunzn GEOM: ada0: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
Sep  2 17:52:38 blunzn GEOM: ada0: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.
Sep  2 17:56:42 blunzn GEOM: ada1: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
Sep  2 17:56:42 blunzn GEOM: ada1: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

Is you pool/vdev working as expected? I decided to wait and watch.

pschatz100

Guru
Hi Stux, I create the pool from the cli, import the volume from the gui, my fear is that it may have problems, those messages are strange
Why are you using the CLI to create your pool? Exactly what is it that you are trying to do? I would think that, for a new FreeNAS system, it would be much easier to use the volume manager in the GUI.

Did you try the volume manager in the GUI?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why are you using the CLI to create your pool? Exactly what is it that you are trying to do? I would think that, for a new FreeNAS system, it would be much easier to use the volume manager in the GUI.

If you are going to use the cli you're going to have a bad time. With FreeNAS you basically have to use the gui for everything. If you have to use the cli you should be using FreeBSD. Since you can't figure out your errors I suggest not using freebsd until your knowledge improves.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I return the initial question, why FreeNAS shows these messages?

It's not FreeNAS, it is the underlying operating system. The GPT partition table is written to the first 34 blocks of the disk, and a backup of that table is written to the last 34 blocks of the disk. What this message is saying is that a GPT was written, then the primary table at the start of the disk was overwritten. The GEOM subsystem found the backup/secondary copy of the table at the end of the disk and is using that.

This is usually caused by people not understanding the two tables that GPT has and treating it like the old MBR format, which only had one table.

Others have suggested using the FreeNAS GUI. I agree with that, it does several things that are well-tested and create vdevs and pools that are well-formed and in the format that FreeNAS expects. In this case, now would be a good time to fix these problems, before a lot of data has been copied to the pool.

rickygm

Explorer

Hi , No.

rickygm

Explorer
It's not FreeNAS, it is the underlying operating system. The GPT partition table is written to the first 34 blocks of the disk, and a backup of that table is written to the last 34 blocks of the disk. What this message is saying is that a GPT was written, then the primary table at the start of the disk was overwritten. The GEOM subsystem found the backup/secondary copy of the table at the end of the disk and is using that.

This is usually caused by people not understanding the two tables that GPT has and treating it like the old MBR format, which only had one table.

Others have suggested using the FreeNAS GUI. I agree with that, it does several things that are well-tested and create vdevs and pools that are well-formed and in the format that FreeNAS expects. In this case, now would be a good time to fix these problems, before a lot of data has been copied to the pool.

ok I'll follow your advice, I still have no data in the pool, I think it's a good time to redo all the pool

Stux

MVP
There are reasons to do it manually, but if you don't need to, you shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.