Static to DHCP quesiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
I have been having some DNS issues with my firewall and have decided to make some changes to my network. According to the user guide DHCP is the default. I don't remember when I set up my freenas a few years ago, but apparently I did a static address. It doesn't look like I can edit that in the GUI. If I check the DHCP box, the ip address is grayed out and it says that I must have an ipv4 address assigned. Before I delete that interface, and loose all connectivity to my freenas, I thought I would ask what the best way is to accomplish this.

Cheers,

Patrick

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can edit it in the GUI, but why would you? Static is the preferred (and correct) way to handle addressing servers.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Here is a quote for a super nice guy (Scott) over at Sophos UTM. He has been helping me pinpoint the DNS issue I have been having for going on a month now.

" I took another quick look between calls, In the kernel messages log, I'm seeing entries for 192.168.1.150, Martian source. The are called martian because the are alien to the interface. This can be caused by a host with an IP not native to the network, corrupted packets, or duplicate packets. There is a routing loop and you probably have packet storms raging across your network"

My FreeNAS is assigned the 192.168.1.150 static address. Since I unplugged my NAS from the network, everything is working as it once did. Not sure if this is a result of an update or what. I did not change anything else on my network. After years of uninterrupted service, I have been pulling my hair out for a month. Regardless, my plan was to try DHCP on the FreeNAS and see if it is able to connect back to my network without wreaking havoc.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
"You can edit it in the GUI, but why would you? Static is the preferred (and correct) way to handle addressing servers."

It doesn't look like I can. It looks like I can delete my e0 interface, and possibly install it again under DHCP. But, I can't just tick the DHCP box?

I am making a guess that another device got an ip on your network that the FreeNAS is set to use.

Anyway, plug a monitor in or use the IPMI console and update the interface there.

You will get a menu of:

Code:
Console setup
-------------

1) Configure Network Interfaces
2) Configure Link Aggregation
3) Configure VLAN Interface
4) Configure Default Route
5) Configure Static Routes
6) Configure DNS
7) Reset Root Password
8) Reset to factory defaults
9) Shell
10) System Update (requires networking)
11) Create backup
12) Restore from a backup
13) Reboot
14) Shutdown

Choose option one and change it to DHCP, probably have to reboot and check it again. After that is all done plug it back into the network and see if it gets an IP address and see if the same problems still exist.

For my network I have static assignments for devices to get an IP address via DHCP. I also made sure that my DHCP range does not overlap anything I set as static, for instance my DHCP range is 50 to 149 so anything from 2 to 49 and 150 to 254 could be some static assignment. I use low numbers for switches, AP's and other networking devices and high ranges for servers/computers. I could manually set everything but because at certain points I will have my FreeNAS on another network and it will be a lot easier to get it up and running if it will grab an IP on it's own.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Great. That helps a lot. I did connect a monitor and set it to DHCP, but forgot to reboot. I really like the idea of using those ranges. I'll reboot, log in, and change the range.

Thank You!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.