Startup trouble after trying FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raf

Cadet
Hi,

I was attempting to setup a desktop computer for remote storage that myself and my brother could access from our laptops. It is a fairly new desktop running windows 7 with a 300gb SSD and a 1TB spin drive.

I installed FreeNAS (8.0.1 i think) on a memory stick, booted from it on the PC and followed the ip address it later gave me on my macbook. After fooling around with the web browser client and not getting very far, i went to startup my PC back to the desktop and got this error:

"This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."

I tried to be very careful in the web client to not alter the 300gb drive since it is the main boot drive for the system. Did i bugger it up?

-R

Johnhiggins

Cadet
Hi,

I was attempting to setup a desktop computer for remote storage that myself and my brother could access from our laptops. It is a fairly new desktop running windows 7 with a 300gb SSD and a 1TB spin drive.

I installed FreeNAS (8.0.1 i think) on a memory stick, booted from it on the PC and followed the ip address it later gave me on my macbook. After fooling around with the web browser client and not getting very far, i went to startup my PC back to the desktop and got this error:

"This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."

I tried to be very careful in the web client to not alter the 300gb drive since it is the main boot drive for the system. Did i bugger it up?

-R

Your FreeNAS box is trying to boot from the hard disk and not the USB stick. Boot your PC, enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that your PC boots from the USB stick first.

Status
Not open for further replies.