sshfs available on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Hayward

Cadet
I want to make my own file server out of an old box i have sitting around. I would like to use FreeNAS but i don't know if i can install and run sshfs like i can on my linux boxes. I tried googleing around trying to find the answer but i can't find anything that tells me one way or the other. Am I able to install sshfs on FreeNAS, or is there another way i can remotely mount a drive on my server and have the communication encrypted other than openvpn? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
The short answer is yes: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=sshfs&stype=all

The long answer is if you try to install this on FreeNAS, the package and dependencies will fill up your flash drive. Using a Jail would probably be the easiest solution. If you look in the HowTo section, there's a tutorial for Streambaby, it's probably the easier of the Jail tutorials I wrote and if you just leave out the Streambaby stuff and install the sshfs stuff it should work. I would offer more details, but at a slight disadvantage right now and pointing you in that direction is the best I can do for now. Remember, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD (a layer on top more or less), so most anything that works with FreeBSD will work with FreeNAS.

ProtoSD

MVP
I just wanted to follow up and say I've created a test build and compiled in SSHFS without any problems. I don't have time to test it, but when I get the rest of the build working the way I want I'll try to update here with a link if you want to test it out.

ProtoSD

MVP
*HOPEFULLY* I should have this ready later tonight. I goofed up at the last minute and deleted a bunch of files and need to rebuild. If it doesn't finish in time I might post up the previous build until the other one finishes. I just don't recall at the moment if that build had SSHFS added yet or not, and the only install file that survived was the amd64/x64 Full_Install.xz, no ISO until later.

Keep a watch on my signature below ANY of my posts, I'll post the link there for everyone when it's ready.

Happy New Year!

EDIT: Here's the link that has SSHFS added as well as other stuff. I haven't tested it, nor do I know how to use it. When I have more I'll try it. If it works, I can do standard 8.0.3 Release with it added if you prefer not to use the test version with ZFS v28.

Here it is: http://protosd.blogspot.com/2011/12/happy-new-year-freenas-803-with-zfs-v28.html

Status
Not open for further replies.