SSD Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3RadMan

Explorer
I'm running plex on an ssd for the snappiness, but I'm worried about the degradation of the drive. I know trim is the primary utility to help lengthen the life, but I have found very little info whether there is an option to turn it on, or if it is automatically turned on. Any info about this?

Also, is there a way to not update the access-time field each time it reads metadata from the SSD, since that will add a lot of wear, or is that something you don't have to worry about too much with FreeNAS?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
ZFS supports TRIM. You can verify TRIM is enabled by running sysctl vfs.zfs.trim.enabled, if it comes back with a 1 then you're good to go.

We don't worry about SSD endurance.

We have a 2TB SSD pool (mirrored stripe) more than 18 months old that hosts 15 XenServer VMs (using about 600GB) made with four cheap, off-brand SSDs (ADATA Premier SP550 960G).

When SMART 169 (Remaining Lifetime Percentage) gets to 30% or we are nearing two-thirds of their rated write endurance, they'll have been in service more than five years based on current usage. At that time, I'll migrate the data to biomechanical holographic neural nets.

Even now, I feel as though we got our money's worth from SSD. The performance is substantially better for our VMs using a lot fewer spindles and a lot less power.

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.