Spider Oak (Cloud Service) & FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan101

Dabbler
HI everyone,

Just like to start by saying I've been using FreeNAS for more than a year now and its been a fantastic learning journey. The last significant milestone for me was when I moved / consolidated all my data to a self-built FreeNAS machine using server quality parts (Supermicro mobo, ECC ram etc), running ZFS.

There are still lots for me to learn however. I am still pretty new.

So this is my question: Is there a plug-in or anyway I can have certain files / folders which are stored on my FreeNAS machine to be backed up to a cloud service such as Spider Oak? Though I am not technical at all, I admire the company's so-called 'zero knowledge' of your PW and data and that they say they employ de-duplication of the data which gets uploaded, thereby conserving your quota. (not that you should have duplicate data to begin with).

I have been using SO before I started playing with FreeNAS. I think a cloud service offers another layer of "backup". Of course I will be selecting only a sub-set of my data from FreeNAS to be put on the cloud- essential stuff like tax returns, personal documents etc. So if my house burns down (touchwood) I still have record of my documents.

If there isn't one, I'll strong advocate perhaps some plug-in can be written to communicate with SO servers.

Hope someone here who knows can chime in...

Cheers,
Daniel

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So they want to dedup encrypted data. That's a laugh. Clearly marketing BS.

fracai

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.