Speeds used to be 100 MBps, now 10 MBps

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackrock

Explorer
Hi all. I'm a long time FreeNAS user (since .7). I've always had some random success with FreeNAS speeds over the years. Since the latest updates, 9.2.x, my transfer speed has dropped to around 10-12 MBps. I used to consistently get up near 100MBps before the 9.2 series.

This is a typical forum thread on the freenas forums, but I fail to see anything that others are doing wrong that I am also. Just wondering if anyone else has had any tips/tricks, ways to debug and troubleshoot...

12GB ECC RAM
i3
12TB Storage, in RAIDZ1
Gigabit NIC
going through gigabit switch, and then router flashed with EasyTomato

shackrock

Explorer
Here you go:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig                                                                                                         
em0: flags=8c02<BROADCAST,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                             
        options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>                                 
        ether MAC HIDDEN FOR POSTING                                                                                                   
        nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>                                                                                       
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)                                                                       
        status: active                                                                                                             
em1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                 
        options=42098<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>                                                   
        inet 192.168.1.158 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255                                                             
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)                                                                       
        status: active                                                                                                             
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536                                                                         
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384                                                                 
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>                                                                     
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128                                                                                                   
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6                                                                                 
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000                                                                                         
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>                                                                                 
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                                     
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>                                                                                                 
        id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15                                                               
        maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200                                                                   
        root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0                                                                   
        member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                                             
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 8 priority 128 path cost 2000                                                                     
        member: em1 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>                                                                 
                ifmaxaddr 0 port 3 priority 128 path cost 20000                                                                   
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500                                             
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                                                                       
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>                                                                                                 
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)                                                                       

shackrock

Explorer
And for what it's worth, here are some screenshots of my network config screens attached as well. A while ago (probably months ago) I had some issues and put google's DNS in there, not sure if that's hurting me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 05-17-14 at 10.35 AM 001.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-17-14 at 10.35 AM 001.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Screen Shot 05-17-14 at 10.35 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-17-14 at 10.35 AM.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Screen Shot 05-17-14 at 10.36 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 05-17-14 at 10.36 AM.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 381
D

dlavigne

Is this install in a virtualized environment or bare hardware?

shackrock

Explorer
Bare hardware. Here are the specs of everything actually:

Supermicro X8SIL-F
Intel Core i3-530 CPU
Kingston 2 x 2GB ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 RAM
Kingston 2 x 4GB ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 RAM
Corsair 650TX PSU

gpsguy

What is the exact version number? Three have been 7 released version of 9.2.x [9.2.0 - 9.2.1.5], not counting the latest beta & alpha versions.

How full is your pool?

While we can see you have a gigabit ethernet connection on the Intel NIC in your server, can you test the connection on the other end. You might want to try changing network cables.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Now lets do a sanity check here... Have you replaced ANY hardware in the recent past, from the time where you knew you had the faster speed? Typically I see these problems when someone has made a hardware change, even if it was a cable. They don't notice the transfer speed change for an extended period of time and when they change FreeNAS software they suddenly notice that it's slower than it use to be, even though it has been slower for a while. I'm not saying this is your case however you must rule it out.

Also you only stated 9.2.x series, let's be specific here because Samba has been changed recently and all hell has broken loose. Things are better in 9.2.1.3 for the most part but 9.2.1.4 and .5 are in my opinion not so good. If you are using 9.2.1.5 then I recommend you roll back to 9.2.1.3 and give it a try. Also 9.2.1.6 is in BETA testing and will be out soon (soon meaning when it's ready) and will hopefully be the last 9.2.1.x version and completely stable, that is what we are hoping for.

EDIT: Gpsguy beat me to the punch. I have a new puppy which distracts me.

shackrock

Explorer
I'm in 9.2.1.5, yea. I skipped from 9.2.1 initial release, I think, straight to .5.

My zpool is 66% full.

I haven't changed any hardware, but I have moved some things around (moved my router, moved my switch. It's possible a different cable was used, although I don't think that's the case... let me fool around with that. Would the cable degrade it that much?

Any CIFS settings I should look at?

shackrock

Explorer
Alright, I knew it was worth posting. I have a bad cable! I jiggled it a little bit, and I lose connection. Another jiggle, I'm up to 50MBps. Time to replace it.

Thanks all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Alright, I knew it was worth posting. I have a bad cable! I jiggled it a little bit, and I lose connection. Another jiggle, I'm up to 50MBps. Time to replace it.

Thanks all.

Ethernet? If so, a temporary kludge is to pull up on the connector's tab for a few seconds (careful not to break it!). It's typically enough to keep it in place a bit longer.

shackrock

Explorer
I had a spare 25' cable. Just replaced it, I'm back up to 80MBps, so it looks like that was the bad link.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad that worked for you, that is what typically happens and I'm glad I was right, saved you a lot of troubleshooting.

Ethernet? If so, a temporary kludge is to pull up on the connector's tab for a few seconds (careful not to break it!). It's typically enough to keep it in place a bit longer.
It depends on what is wrong. If the connector isn't staying in place that would work but if there was an electrical contact issue from the wire to the connector post, well wiggling the wire usually makes the connection work fro a short period of time which is what it sounds like here, at least one of the 8 wires not making good contact which could throw the cable back to look like a CAT3 cable. I deal with cable connection issues all the time when people play with the hard (solid wire) cables we make and they cause a loose connection. I typically just cut off the old connector and plop on a new one. It's faster overall to do that.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.