Sorry an error occured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Atkinson

Cadet
Good morning all. I'm using FreeNAS 8.2.0 release P1 X64 (r11950) setup with a four drive raidz1. I'll upgrade and change the raid type after I get the problem fixed. I had a drive fail and the instructions don't seem to work as described in the users guide section 6.3.11. There are some differenced in what is described in the manual and what you can actually do. However after replacing the drive as instructed then doing Storage>Volume Status I get a "sorry and error occurred" message so the drives do not show up that allow me to replace the drive. The drive is a new and unformatted. I can see the drive in view disk and I did a quick wipe and reboot but it did not help.
Any insight will be appreciated.

thanks Art

Art Atkinson

Cadet
Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm using FreeNAS-8.2.0-Release-P1(r11950) and the footer of the manual indicates FreeNAS 8.2 Users Guide. zpool Status indicated no pool available.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's the output of "zpool import"? Please put it in code blocks or attach as a text file as the formatting of the text is VERY important.

Art Atkinson

Cadet
What's the output of "zpool import"? Please put it in code blocks or attach as a text file as the formatting of the text is VERY important.
Code:
[root@freenasbeta ~]# zpool import                                             
  pool: fn82                                                                   
    id: 1467051629514966958                                                   
state: UNAVAIL                                                               
status: One or more devices are missing from the system.                       
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing                       
        devices and try again.                                                 
  see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-3C                                     
config:                                                                       

fn82        UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas                             
          raidz1    UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas                             
            ada0p2  ONLINE                                                     
            ada1p2  OFFLINE                                                   
            ada2p2  UNAVAIL  cannot open                                       
            ada3p2  ONLINE                                                     
[root@freenasbeta ~]#  

I hope I did this correctly. ada1p2 is the drive I replaced. If I put the original drive back in the system and set it online I can see the data on the drives although the status is degraded but I did not know enough to do zpool import with the original drives installed so I don't know if there is another issue with ada2p2. I'll try to do that tomorrow.
Thanks for the help. I have been using this setup without issues since 8.2 became available so I guess its about time for some grief!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have insufficient replicas. You need to get one more good disk in the system. Curently you have 2 disks from the pool up and working and 2 disks "missing".

Art Atkinson

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock, I'm sorry to have taken so long to get back. I put the original drive back in the system and ran zpool import and it returned to the prompt without any other output. I don't know if thats any indication of anything or not, just thought I'd let you know. I bought two WD Blue drives and both were bad so I'm going to replace them with Seagates and start from scratch. Starting by reading your guide. Do you have any suggestion of a setup for a 4 one TB drive system that will be used in a small office for general storage?
Again thanks for the help.
Art

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you got no input it had nothing to say... aka no disks with zpools found. If you did what you said, your hardware probably doesn't support hotplugging drives. Try shutting down the server, adding your disk, the booting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.