error getting available space after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

matlock

Contributor
Hey All- I've run into an issue after upgrading from release 8.2.0 p1 x64 to 9.2.1 release x64

I uploaded my config file, but seems as though "volume prime (ZFS) status is unknown". Appears that there is an "error getting available space"

I can see all my disks, all of them show a disk size of "0".

Just an fyi, i have an esxi host, freenas running as a vm, and i have the drives being passed onto the freenas. I've done upgrades in the past, and have never run into this issue prior.

Not really sure what to do to try and get things back up and running. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Feels good to be back-
Matlock

System specs:
Primary datastore with vms (500gb drive)
5 - 1tb drives setup raidz (connected via on board sata connections)
Core i3
8gb ram

matlock

Contributor
I recreated a 8.2.0 p1 release vm, and was able to upload the config file everything imported fine and is 'back to normal' all my data is intact.

I'd really like to upgrade to 9.2.1 if possible. Any suggestions on what I should do differently?

matlock

Contributor
Anyone have a thought or suggestion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gpsguy

There are only a few user's on the forum, virtualizing FreeNAS. Don't expect an immediate answer.

Are you giving the FreeNAS guest 8Gb of RAM (per the manual), or is 8Gb the total in the machine?

While not 9.x, you might try 8.3.2, at least temporarily. The files can be found here: http://cdn.freenas.org/

gpsguy

Edit - duplicate message can be deleted.

matlock

Contributor
The freenas vm has 8gb allocated to it.

I'll try 8.3.2- and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh.. this sounds exactly like the reason why we tell people not to virtualize. I truly hope you have backups.

See http://forums.freenas.org/threads/p...duction-as-a-virtual-machine.12484/#post58364

See that whole thing about why you shouldn't do it. You appear to be the posterchild for why one or more of 1 through 4 on that link were written. We literally wrote it because of problems like what you are having.

Like I said.. I truly hope you have backups.

matlock

Contributor
Data loss is not an issue at this time.

I have a 1tb external drive which I may try to transfer all the critical data to and rebuild everything.

I'm going to get a backup now, then upgrade incrementally and see if that makes a difference.

matlock

matlock

Contributor
On the topic of backups- what's the most effective method of backing data up to an external drive? Opening the share and copying the contents?

matlock

matlock

Contributor
So i've upgraded to 8.3.2 from 8.2 successfully. I'm able to upload my config file and my shares show up and data is visible.

Performed another upgrade to 9.1.1, uploaded my config and I received the 'status unknown' error as mentioned in the OP. So its back to square one...

matlock

Contributor
So some more digging into this and I've learned my issue relates to freebsd 9.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3197

I use rdm to pass my drives. (... I know i know)

So ill sit on 8.3.2 and wait for freebsd 10 to be incorporated into freenas ... When might that happen? 6months? A year? Never?

Well thanks to all of those who tried helping. Appreciate your time

matlock

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think the last word was summer 2015 at the earliest. But who knows. /shrug

And there's still plenty of reasons why RDM on a FreeNAS box, even if it were to work, is just crazy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.