SOLVED Sonarr (plug/jail/volume?) permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
Sonarr problems include:
  1. I am unable to add series using the plugin's volume mount point (i.e. the source/destination used to 'add' storage to a jail). When I try to add a new series, I am able to navigate to the mount point (i.e. /media/television) in the Sonarr GUI pop-up, though when I click the green tick button, to actually add the series, nothing happens. That is to say, the pop-up does not close, nor does it add it to the list of paths in that popup - the effect is as though the button has no action - it's clickable, but does nothing. There is a corresponding log error, but it's the same as the one in the point below, so i've addressed it there.
    I am, however, able to add series to the plugin's default root folder (i.e. /var/db/sonarr/), which is of course pointless - that's the purpose of mounting my volume folder into the jail... so I can add servies to my medi/television folder. I've tried using the root folder (/var/db/sonarr/) as the destination mount point for my tv folder, but has same effect (none).
  2. There is a constant "Unable to write to drone factory folder" error. The associated log is entry is variations of "NzbDroneErrorPipeline Request Failed: Root folder path '/media/television/etc' is not writable by user 'media"
    This suggests it's a permission issue, however when I mount the shares on a computer using the same credentials as the jails/plugins (i.e. 'media') I have full read/write/execute right (i.e. i can create/delete/watch files/folders), which suggest the user/group permissions are setup correctly.
It's worth noting that I've searched through this forum and found some similar problems/threads (though not exactly same scenario) and there are many guides online, (though a lot are dated and focused on oldver version od both FreeNAS and the plugin) but none have been effective on my problem, unfortunately.
  • I am running FreeNAS 9.10-STABLE (with the latest batch of updates/bug-fixes as at 28/04/16)
  • I am using compatible hardware based on the FreeNAS/BSD recommendation
  • I've tried several variations of permission (countless starts-from-scratch re: jails), but am currently using a full-permission (UNIX owner/group/other) UID/GID with same number - and made sure they own the volume files and plugin jails - the UID is set to default csh (though ive tested zsh, tcsh and bash)
I hope there is enough info (perhaps too much) here - please don't hesitate to ask for anything else that's relevent, that i've forgetten to include.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
can you show the output of the following, and any other folders you're having issues with
ls -l /media/television/etc

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
Since initial post, I've been messing around with the permissions to see if anything will work (including creating new users/groups with same ID and full permissions etc.). Odd thing is, I keep getting the same log error from Sonarr (that xyz is not writable by user 'media') - the thing is, (1) there is no user 'media', and (2) not matter which uer i assign as owner of the sonarr jail, it keeps says 'media'. Just fyi, I reboot FreeNAS after each permission change.

Anyway, current outputs are as follows - i've replaced folder names with 'folder'.

Media folder dataset:
[root@freenas] /# ls -l /mnt/FreeNas/WindowsShare/Media/television
total 30
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 root wheel 6 Apr 29 21:26 ./
drwxrwxr-x+ 6 root wheel 7 Apr 30 00:51 ../
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 root wheel 6148 Apr 29 22:05 .DS_Store*
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel 4 Apr 27 13:10 foler/
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 root wheel 5 Apr 27 14:52 folder/
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root wheel 2 Apr 23 22:28 folder/

Jail/dataset for sonarr:
[root@freenas] /# ls -l /mnt/FreeNas/jails/sonarr_1/media/television
total 30
drwxrwxrwx 6 root wheel 6 Apr 29 16:14 ../
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root wheel 2 Apr 23 22:28 foler/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Since initial post, I've been messing around with the permissions to see if anything will work (including creating new users/groups with same ID and full permissions etc.). Odd thing is, I keep getting the same log error from Sonarr (that xyz is not writable by user 'media') - the thing is, (1) there is no user 'media', and (2) not matter which uer i assign as owner of the sonarr jail, it keeps says 'media'. Just fyi, I reboot FreeNAS after each permission change.

Anyway, current outputs are as follows - i've replaced folder names with 'folder'.

Media folder dataset:
[root@freenas] /# ls -l /mnt/FreeNas/WindowsShare/Media/television
total 30
drwxrwxr-x+ 6 root wheel 7 Apr 30 00:51 ../
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root wheel 2 Apr 23 22:28 folder/

Jail/dataset for sonarr:
[root@freenas] /# ls -l /mnt/FreeNas/jails/sonarr_1/media/television
total 30
drwxrwxrwx 6 root wheel 6 Apr 29 16:14 ../
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root wheel 2 Apr 23 22:28 foler/
You have Windows ACLs enabled on those files. Those are more cmoplicated then just UNIX permission levels.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
You have Windows ACLs enabled on those files. Those are more cmoplicated then just UNIX permission levels.

OK. What do you suggest I do? In the FreeNAS permissions GUI, I already have the permission type set to UNIX (and the abvoe was the output), so I'm unsure why it it has Windows permissions.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OK. What do you suggest I do? In the FreeNAS permissions GUI, I already have the permission type set to UNIX (and the abvoe was the output), so I'm unsure why it it has Windows permissions.
I have no idea. I never use windows / windows ACLs

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
I have no idea. I never use windows / windows ACLs

Found this:

"As per the FreeNAS documentation, the User/Group/Other checkboxes are only valid for volumes using UNIX permissions. They are nonfunctional for Windows ACL-enabled shares. If the root share permissions need to be changed, change them from a Windows client logged in as the Owner of the share through the share's Properties, on the Security tab.
In addition, do not use Change Permissions in the GUI to change permissions recursively once Change Permissions is used to enable Windows ACLs. Your ACLs will be damaged by changes made from the GUI and you will have to delete & recreate the volume to clear the damaged ACLs."

Too bad if you have not windows systems... I'm in the process of backing up all data, so I can start fresh with 9.10-STABLE (new volue etc.) Sham you can mount network-attached storage or USB device to FreeNAS. Backing up several huhred gigs over wi-fi takes days.

NigelNoFriends

Explorer

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
it has the "+" in the output
@Joshua Parker Ruehlig OK - it's taken a few days, but I've got a fresh volume with all UNIX datasets.

Note that I have included 'root' user in the 'media' group, and vice-versa.

I am still getting the same problems
  1. Cannot create save path for new series in the mount point I want (/media/Vision/) Note that it doesn't matter if I set the mount folder inside the Sonarr root i.e. /var/db/sonarr/ works fine, but /var/db/sonarr/Vision/ does not.
  2. I get the system health error "Unable to write to Drone Factory folder". I am using the mount point /media/compledl/ (sits inside 'Downloads' and has same permissions)

Here's the new logs

[root@freenas] ~# ls -l /mnt/FreeNAS/Jails/sonarr_1/media/Vision
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 2 501 media 2 May 2 21:15 ./
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 5 May 3 00:11 ../

[root@freenas] ~# ls -l /mnt/FreeNAS/Media
total 35
drwxrwxrwx 7 media media 7 May 2 21:25 ./
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 5 May 2 23:19 ../
drwxr-xr-x 5 501 media 7 May 2 21:16 Downloads/
drwxr-xr-x 2 501 media 2 May 2 21:23 Video/
drwxr-xr-x 2 501 media 2 May 2 21:15 RecycleBin/
drwxr-xr-x 2 501 media 2 May 2 21:15 Vision/
drwxr-xr-x 5 501 media 7 May 2 22:07 transfer/

Any thoughts?

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
Just got it working.

I can't say exactly what the problem was (or still is) - I've been messing around with permissions of datasets, users and groups - but I'm not keen to on back-tracking all the changes I made, because I'll probably break it again.

It's not ideal currently, because everything is (users/groups/files/folders) set to full user/group/other permissions - so they only way to manage it is through the shares themselves (which is no help for NSF shares...)

Here's the final look at the sonarr jail and media dataset, if you're curious re: the permissions.

[root@freenas] ~# ls -l /mnt/FreeNAS/Jails/sonarr_1
total 143
drwxrwxrwx 18 media media 22 May 2 23:29 ./
drwxrwxrwx 15 root wheel 15 May 3 00:19 ../
-rwxrwxrwx 2 media media 966 Mar 25 12:11 .cshrc*
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 4 May 2 23:58 .plugins/
-rwxrwxrwx 2 media media 254 Mar 25 12:11 .profile*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 media media 6197 Mar 25 12:11 COPYRIGHT*
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 47 Mar 25 12:10 bin/
drwxrwxrwx 8 media media 50 Mar 25 12:11 boot/
drwxrwxrwx 9 media media 512 May 3 16:32 dev/
drwxrwxrwx 23 media media 107 May 2 23:59 etc/
drwxrwxrwx 3 media media 52 Mar 25 12:10 lib/
drwxrwxrwx 3 media media 5 Mar 31 09:26 libexec/
drwxrwxrwx 5 media media 5 May 3 00:11 media/
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 2 Mar 25 12:10 mnt/
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 May 3 16:32 proc/
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 146 Mar 25 12:10 rescue/
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 6 Mar 25 12:11 root/
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 132 Mar 25 12:11 sbin/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 media media 11 Mar 25 12:11 sys@ -> usr/src/sys
drwxrwxrwx 8 media media 8 May 3 03:34 tmp/
drwxrwxrwx 15 media media 15 May 2 23:58 usr/
drwxrwxrwx 25 media media 25 May 2 23:58 var/

[root@freenas] ~# ls -l /mnt/FreeNAS/Media
total 35
drwxrwxrwx 7 media media 7 May 2 21:25 ./
drwxrwxrwx 5 root wheel 5 May 2 23:19 ../
drwxr-xr-x 5 media media 7 May 2 21:16 Downloads/
drwxr-xr-x 2 media media 2 May 2 21:23 Folder/
drwxr-xr-x 2 media media 2 May 2 21:15 RecycleBin/
drwxrwxrwx 2 media media 2 May 2 21:15 Folder2/
drwxr-xr-x 5 media media 7 May 2 22:07 transfer/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
glad you got it working. sorry it look me a few days to catchup on stuff

NigelNoFriends

Explorer
glad you got it working. sorry it look me a few days to catchup on stuff

No worry. Sadly I'm having that broken plugin problem now, so the permissions issue is kinda moot at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.