Someone in Austin, TX want to earn a few bucks and drink some beer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpollard

Cadet
I'm short on time (two small kids, one of which is a newborn with special needs) and I need help setting up my rig (dual quad core, 26 GB of ram, and I'm securing 5 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives soon).
PM me if you can help. thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. "a few bucks" doesn't cover the typical time to install FreeNAS. Either I'd be ready to chock a few hundred dollars at someone for doing all of your setup for you, be ready to learn/do it all yourself, or go to another OS.

aufalien

Patron
Well, the thing about FreeNAS and why its so appealing is that its fairly easy to get going. Its also fairly easy to mess up like anything else but I digress.

Just follow the various guide lines in the noob section and all will be well. Keep it simple (KISS principle) and you'll be surprised how easy and reliable things will be.

Over all, pretty bullet proof product, A++ in terms of open source projects.

bpollard

Cadet
I hear ya, I just don't have the time to spend to learn, and would rather be taught. so how about a few bucks = $300. any takers? Austin is a fun town...

xcom

Contributor
I am not to far away from you... Spring, Texas... I just dont have the time to drive :(

aufalien

Patron
I hear ya, I just don't have the time to spend to learn, and would rather be taught. so how about a few bucks = $300. any takers? Austin is a fun town...

You don't have time to learn? The time/inertia spent on posting could have gotten you a quick start to DIY. yea put down that six pack and read the manual.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be frank bpollard, I'd take you up on the offer, but I definitely can't build your system(not in Texas), and I definitely wouldn't want to be supporting your box indefinitely(which is virtually a guarantee if you have someone handle the software for you).

The problem is that while I could teach you the basics and such in a few hours, you'd pretty much *need* to come back to me for almost every problem...forever. That's not something most people want to get into. Even when I build systems for companies I discuss the fact that I'm not looking for a customer that is going to keep coming back forever. I'm okay with doing initial build, and I'm okay with explaining what I'm doing. But, at the same time, if a problem comes up later and you ask for help in the forums and don't have an answer for a simple question, you're going to be in real doo-doo.

If you are okay with these limitations, send me a PM. I'll take Paypal. ;)

sgregory

Contributor
bpollard, Not quite the same situation as you but similarly pressed for time. Despite the frustration when I screwed things up, I turned this project into my stress relief. It is rewarding and fun to make it tick. And truthfully not that hard if you read the manuals.
One word of advice, if you do decide to build your box. It is not a good idea to drink beer and tweek the server.

HiddenHand

Dabbler
How did this go? I'm in San Antonio... are you needing help with just the software, or with hardware too? im going to be assembling my box and learning FreeNAS the next 30 days.By the time I'm done with this project I should be "pro enough" to take your money ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.