Some VMs run, some won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

russoj88

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS-11.1-U1, but this was happening before U1 as well. I have 3 VMs currently that are all using bhyve. 2 will start up and run fine. The third, which was created a few days after the other 2 will not start. All 3 are using a virtIO NIC and virtIO disk (zvols on the pool). The third currently has the same plus a VNC device and CD-ROM device linked to a FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE ISO. This iso was used for the first 2.

Again, the third VM is the only one which will not start. I press 'start' in the GUI, but its status remains, 'STOPPED'. I've searched for this issue and the only useful thing I could find was to tail /var/log/messages. I noticed the following two messages consistently appear after pressing start:

Code:
freenas tap2: Ethernet address: 00:bd:95:c5:0a:02
freenas kernel: tap2: promiscuous mode enabled

If I run ifconfig, there is no tap2 device.

I'm not sure where else to go from here. I couldn't find any info on cli tools running in parallel to the GUI or a way to see why it won't start. Is this a known issue? Are there other logs I can look at?

russoj88

Dabbler
I tried playing around with this more today. Restarting the network from the console and rebooting the machine had the following effects:
1. The existing VM that wouldn't start still would not start.
2. Making a 4th VM worked fine.
3. There are now 4 tap devices (0-3). 4 VMs total running. I deleted the non-working ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.