[SOLVED] PlexServer upgrade fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get it to update through the GUI either (or at least it took forever). I googled around and some guy on the Plex forums made a script to do this, here: https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater

Go to your FreeNAS WebUI, go to your jails and click on your Plex jail. You'll see at the bottom of the screen are various icons, one of which launches a command line interface to the jail. Click that, then from the CLI use wget to download the script, make it executable and run it.

Code:
#Stop plex in the GUI (the stop and start commands in the github version of the script don't work)
#Get the script
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh --no-check-certificate
#Make it executable
chmod +x ./PMS_Updater.sh
#Run it!
./PMS_Updater.sh -a

This will download and update to the latest version. While it's not the FreeNAS official way, it's so much quicker. Just ignore the update button in your FreeNAS WebUI. Another advantage of this script (and it's initial purpose) is that you can use it to download and update to PlexPass versions of Plex Media Server.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention to make sure you stop Plex first; the commands supplied in the github version of the script don't work. I've updated my original post.

Biggeek

Dabbler
thanks.
forced an update, and complained that my /etc/rc.conf file had a missing line. Odd.
Edited it and now I'm back up and running.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
updates through freenas take forever. but... if you updated to the current version, or installed that version, any future updates should be much faster.
I moved the usually huge metadata directory out from the pbi directory, so its no longer being processed during updates.

also if you're running the plugin that rc.conf line is added when you enable Plex from the Plugins > Installed tab.

updates through freenas take forever. but... if you updated to the current version, or installed that version, any future updates should be much faster.
I moved the usually huge metadata directory out from the pbi directory, so its no longer being processed during updates.

also if you're running the plugin that rc.conf line is added when you enable Plex from the Plugins > Installed tab.
Is there any advantage to using the FreeNAS upgrade method over using this script? The script seems faster and more reliable, plus you can get the PlexPass release and even add it to a cronjob if you want.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is there any advantage to using the FreeNAS upgrade method over using this script? The script seems faster and more reliable, plus you can get the PlexPass release and even add it to a cronjob if you want.
just that you don't need to touch the command line. other than that, I don't think so. I don't use plex so I wouldn't know

Status
Not open for further replies.