Plugin Update breaks GUI support

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickt

Contributor
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded a number of plugins by way of the GUI (Plugins -> Installed -> Update from action column in plugins table). In all cases, although the upgrade was successful, the plugin stops appearing in the tree menu, with the following appearing in logs:

Code:
May 4 12:38:18 Saturn manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.150/plugins/sickrage/3/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded
May 4 12:38:18 Saturn manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.150/plugins/emby/4/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded
May 4 12:38:18 Saturn manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.150/plugins/plexmediaserver/6/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded

At first, I thought it was specific to the plugin itself, but - as you can see - this has happened to three different plugins, each updated at different times. Restarting the plugin jail or the FreeNAS server hasn't changed anything.

The plugins themselves still seem to work just fine, but the broken GUI support is a concern.

I haven't fiddled with the corresponding plugin / jail environment at all other than basic plugin configuration, so I don't think it is anything i've done.

Anyone seen this? Any suggestions?

I'm on the latest 9.3 stable build.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded a number of plugins by way of the GUI (Plugins -> Installed -> Update from action column in plugins table). In all cases, although the upgrade was successful, the plugin stops appearing in the tree menu, with the following appearing in logs:

Code:
May 4 12:38:18 Saturn manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.150/plugins/sickrage/3/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded
May 4 12:38:18 Saturn manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.150/plugins/emby/4/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded
May 4 12:38:18 Saturn manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.150/plugins/plexmediaserver/6/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded

At first, I thought it was specific to the plugin itself, but - as you can see - this has happened to three different plugins, each updated at different times. Restarting the plugin jail or the FreeNAS server hasn't changed anything.

The plugins themselves still seem to work just fine, but the broken GUI support is a concern.

I haven't fiddled with the corresponding plugin / jail environment at all other than basic plugin configuration, so I don't think it is anything i've done.

Anyone seen this? Any suggestions?

I'm on the latest 9.3 stable build.
someone posted a bug about this recently. I have a feeling it is a freenas bug in the latest build.

I successfully updated emby on the build from a week ago

Feuermandel

Dabbler
I can confirm the bug with the actual FreeNAS 9.3 build: Neither emby nor plex can be run in my envorinment. Even a frech install does not change this.

When installing the plugins first, the jail itself gets started (I can connect to the jail via FreeNAS GUI, but no plex service is started)

USER COMMAND PID FD PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS
root python2.7 55318 3 tcp4 192.168.1.191:12348 *:*
root cron 48674 4 dgram -> /var/run/logpriv
root syslogd 48621 4 dgram /var/run/log
root syslogd 48621 5 dgram /var/run/logpriv
root syslogd 48621 6 udp6 *:514 *:*
root syslogd 48621 7 udp4 *:514 *:*
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ #

This is the error message (in German, sorry for that):
May 7 14:09:16 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] Während des Deserialisierens von https://192.168.1.14/plugins/plexmediaserver/3/_s/treemenu trat ein Fehler auf: No JSON object could be decoded

Is there a way to start a plugin manually? Sometimes this seems to give a lot more debug output...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I can confirm the bug with the actual FreeNAS 9.3 build: Neither emby nor plex can be run in my envorinment. Even a frech install does not change this.

When installing the plugins first, the jail itself gets started (I can connect to the jail via FreeNAS GUI, but no plex service is started)

USER COMMAND PID FD PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS
root python2.7 55318 3 tcp4 192.168.1.191:12348 *:*
root cron 48674 4 dgram -> /var/run/logpriv
root syslogd 48621 4 dgram /var/run/log
root syslogd 48621 5 dgram /var/run/logpriv
root syslogd 48621 6 udp6 *:514 *:*
root syslogd 48621 7 udp4 *:514 *:*
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ #

This is the error message (in German, sorry for that):
May 7 14:09:16 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] Während des Deserialisierens von https://192.168.1.14/plugins/plexmediaserver/3/_s/treemenu trat ein Fehler auf: No JSON object could be decoded

Is there a way to start a plugin manually? Sometimes this seems to give a lot more debug output...
Yes, enable the service then start it
Code:
sysrc 'emby_server_enable=YES'
service emby-server start

I'm wondering, can you 'ping 8.8.8.8' from the emby/plex jail?

Feuermandel

Dabbler
Dear Josua,

both commands worked. Thanks. Now the Plugin is in state running in both menus (plugins and jails).

From within the plugin 8.8.8.8 is pingable.

Now I that I have a workaround, any idea about the errors cause?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Dear Josua,

both commands worked. Thanks. Now the Plugin is in state running in both menus (plugins and jails).

From within the plugin 8.8.8.8 is pingable.

Now I that I have a workaround, any idea about the errors cause?
so is it actually fixed (emby/plex show up in the freenas left panel) or just the workaround.

if it wasnt actually fixed, I'm not sure. the plugin middleware seems to be unreliable for some users lately. and I haven't dug in yet to find out why.

Feuermandel

Dabbler
It ost not fixed. The left panel does not show emby. But it is running.

I just installed headphones pluging, deinstalled the plugin and installed it again. No error and the plugin is listed at the left panel.

Strange

Can IProvide any further information to assist the debugging process?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
It ost not fixed. The left panel does not show emby. But it is running.

I just installed headphones pluging, deinstalled the plugin and installed it again. No error and the plugin is listed at the left panel.

Strange

Can IProvide any further information to assist the debugging process?
mind restarting the emby jail again. Otherwise there's no reason one plugin should work, but not another =/

Feuermandel

Dabbler
mind restarting the emby jail again. Otherwise there's no reason one plugin should work, but not another =/

Restarting using the PLUINGS section does not work.
Restarting using the JAILS section does work. But it does not change the left panel view. Emby is still not listet.

Something other strange:

Within PLUGINS->Installes Plugins view the Headphones Plugin is stopped

Within JAILS view the pluing is running (and accessable with a shell)

After stopping the headphone jail manually it is not startable with the PLUGIN view either.

Something seems to be broken in my setup.

Thanx fpr you support.

fmdx

Explorer
I believe I may be running into the same issue with Syncthing. It all started from the update last week and hasn't been working straight since...

InQuize

Explorer
Same here. Plex doesn't start. Found this thread and haven't even bothered to proceed to other plugins. Whas performing fresh install, so I don't have apportunity to roll back. Just sitting&waiting..
Code:
May 10 20:28:53 NAS manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.4/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Restarting using the PLUINGS section does not work.
(0) Restarting using the JAILS section does work. But it does not change the left panel view. Emby is still not listet.

Something other strange:

(1) Within PLUGINS->Installes Plugins view the Headphones Plugin is stopped

(2) Within JAILS view the pluing is running (and accessable with a shell)

(3) After stopping the headphone jail manually it is not startable with the PLUGIN view either.

Something seems to be broken in my setup.

Thanx fpr you support.

I numbered your statements to more easily respond to them.

(0/1) This is the plugin middleware not properly communicating with the FreeNAS host. It has been happening to alot of people lately and I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it.

(3) This is normal. The plugin middleware and plugin (headphones) both run in the jail. If the jail isn't started, there is no way their processes can be started.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I believe I may be running into the same issue with Syncthing. It all started from the update last week and hasn't been working straight since...
Have you tried restarting the syncthing jail? can you "ping 8.8.8.8" from the syncthing jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Same here. Plex doesn't start. Found this thread and haven't even bothered to proceed to other plugins. Whas performing fresh install, so I don't have apportunity to roll back. Just sitting&waiting..
Code:
May 10 20:28:53 NAS manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from https://10.0.0.4/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded
This was after an update or a fresh install of plex? from the plex jail can you "ping 8.8.8.8"?

InQuize

Explorer
This was after an update or a fresh install of plex? from the plex jail can you "ping 8.8.8.8"?
Fresh install everything (OS, Plex..). Since I was migrating my server to new hardware. Haven't used any settings backups. From the ground up.
Pings just fine.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Fresh install everything (OS, Plex..). Since I was migrating my server to a new hardware. Haven't used any settings backups. From the ground up.
Pings just fine.
Mind trying something? For your plex jail can you..
  1. disable VIMAGE, choose an interface and save
  2. restart your jail
  3. try starting the plugin
I always have to do that with a new plugin install. I want to see if that changes things for others. Thanks

InQuize

Explorer
Mind trying something? For your plex jail can you..
  1. disable VIMAGE, choose an interface and save
Sure, feel free to ask, but for I'm more of a Win guy yet, and run into problems on every corner with BSD..
Can not uncheck VIMAGE for some reason. Am I missing something?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sure, feel free to ask, but for I'm a more of a Win guy yet, and run into problems on every corner with BSD..
Hmm, your the second person who told me that, interesting.

what does this give you on the freenas commandline
Code:
jls

Can you try stoping the jail first, then disabling it?

If that doesn't work, can you install a second instance of plex, then doing the steps before trying to start the plugin?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sure, feel free to ask, but for I'm more of a Win guy yet, and run into problems on every corner with BSD..
Ok, I think you can't uncheck VIMAGE because you have DHCP checked. I have a hypothesis why plugin updates are breaking the plugin middleware communication
  1. by default most jails are created with DHCP and VIMAGE
  2. when a plugin is created it gets an IP from DHCP, FreeNAS stores this IP and a port number to connect to this middleware
  3. when a plugin is updated the middleware connection information is changed, either the IP or port changes
  4. Freenas doesn't know about this change for some reason
Anyway, I'm trying to reproduce this. Things always work as expected for me when I disable DHCP and VIMAGE.

InQuize

Explorer
strange, but freenas does't know it has plex :D
Code:
[root@NAS ~]# jls
JID IP Address Hostname Path
6 - virtualbox /mnt/triplet/jails/virtualbox

Plus
Ok, I think you can't uncheck VIMAGE because you have DHCP checked.
Uncheking DHCP helps, I'm able to uncheck VIMAGE, BUT when I save jail settings and go back to check it, nothing actually applied, DHCP and VIMAGE still checked and from now on I am able to uncheck VIMAGE w/o doing so for DHCP.
Btw I think,your theory is already wrong for me, as I reinstalled plex jail, and attemped to start it immediately, w/o even assigning static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.