[SOLVED] Freenas crashed after firmware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, if you boot from one device and it finds another drive with the same glabel it may use that. The bottom line is you shouldn't have multiple FreeNAS boot devices in the system simultaneously unless they are mirrored with the 9.3 ZFS setup or on 9.2.x and older uses a hardware RAID.

Ptera

Explorer
Reading the Documentation - under troubleshooting -
If the burned image fails to boot and the image was burned using a Windows system, wipe the USB
stick before trying a second burn using a utility such as Active@ KillDisk. Otherwise, the second burn
attempt will fail as Windows does not understand the partition which was written from the image file.

Running Active@ KillDisk on the USB now. 1 and a half hours before it will be finished.

And for the record I was not trying to do multiple boot devices. I think that was loaded on before on the system that would not run FreeNAS the first time which I was using the Solid State drive for boot drive and was installing from CDrom. Did not think at the time to wipe that drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And for the record I was not trying to do multiple boot devices. I think that was loaded on before on the system that would not run FreeNAS the first time which I was using the Solid State drive for boot drive and was installing from CDrom. Did not think at the time to wipe that drive.

I figured as much. Most of us think it's safe to have multiple boot devices simultaneously (it works in Windows and Linux), but FreeNAS doesn't necessarily like it. ;)

solarisguy

Guru
That also works for me in preparing=erasing USB memory
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=whatever_required

Status
Not open for further replies.