SOLVED: Drives detected during boot, but not showing in TrueNAS

Jorsher

Explorer
Leaving up in case someone runs into a similar issue. Ubuntu live boot had no problem seeing the disks, so I switched to TrueNAS Scale. Not my favorite 'solution,' but wasn't sure what else to check. mprutils was the only 'tool' that saw all the drives within TrueNAS Core. Not sure if it's a driver issue or what.

Original config:

Pool 1:
  • Onboard SATA -> 2 x SSD in mirror

Pool 2:
  • Onboard LSI3008 -> 8 x HDD
  • Add-on LSI 92xx-8e -> 2 x HP expanders -> 16 x HDD

I need more storage, so did some upgrades. I exported Pool 1 and Pool 2 before shutting down and changing hardware.

New config:

Pool 1:
  • Onboard LSI3008 -> 2 x SSD
Pool 2:
  • Add-on 9400-16e -> 5 x Adaptec 82885T -> 40 x HDD (four 1-to-2 SAS fanout cables, 8 drives per expander)

While booting, I keep 2 of the Adaptec cards powered off, only powering the 3 that have the drives for the existing pool. I want to get it imported before adding more to the mix. The LSI3008 detects the 2 x SSD. The 9400-16e detects the 24 x HDD. I see each drive status indicator light up sequentially. Once TrueNAS fully loads, I go to import the pools, and only the SSD mirror shows. When I go to look at disks, it shows only 10 of the 24 x HDDs. It sees one drive from one expander, one drive from another expander, and eight drives from the third expander...

I copied down the serial numbers, powered it down, pulled those drives, and booted to see what would happen. This time once TrueNAS boots, it detects 8 x HDDs that it didn't detect with all drives inserted.

When I try "STORCLI", it shows the 9400-16e.

When I try to run "ARCONF", it doesn't detect any of the cards, but /dev shows the 3 devices that were detected and labeled as the Adaptec controllers at boot -- SES0, SES1, SES2

I'm clearly missing something. Any suggestions?

In the meantime I'll keep trying different things with 'storcli'...[/b]

Last edited:

Jorsher

Explorer
  • 'arcconf' doesn't find any controllers and I assume will not work unless I'm using a Adaptec controller in place of the Broadcom.
  • StorCli shows no attached enclosures or drives, but does see the controller. I was able to flash it.
    • A lot of the commands, like 'storcli /c0 set factory defaults' gives an unsupported error. I don't know if this is typical for a 9400-16e or indicative of a problem.
    • storcli /c0/pall show - shows a link to all the cards
    • storcli /c0 show profile - says unsupported command, possibly because this card only supports SAS/SATA
  • sesutil shows all 5 x Adaptec 82885T cards
    • None of the adapters show any array devices, even though TrueNAS sees some of the drives
  • mprutil shows the 9400-16e, along with every expander and disk. I don't understand why TrueNAS doesn't see them?

Last edited: