Disks not showing in UI but showing up in CLI

StorageCurious

Explorer
Apologizes if this has already been answered somewhere, but all my searching lead to people using USB enclosures/wrong HBA. Which isn't my case.

TrueNAS Core-13.0-U2
Dell PowerEdge R730XD with HBA330
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4
768GB ECC RAM
Pools (still testing and trying things):
One mirrored 2 x cheap 120GB SSD drives for boot
One mirrored 2 x 4TB SSD
One Mirrored/stripped 4 x 7200k + one spare, 2 x Intel S3700 as SLOG devices, one cheap SSD as L2ARC cache.

External SAS enclosure (MD1400) connected via a LSI9300-4i4e - only one SAS3 cable to the enclosure at the moment
Bunch of SAS2 drives

When I first plugged in my enclosure, I didn't have any new 3.5 SAS drives to test with (it will only take SAS, not SATA drives) so I went to my IT-cemetary and found a surprise stash of IBM X-Server 3TB drives. I started plugging them in, at first in pairs to build/test an expanding pool of mirrors. Worked fine for the first 6, then the UI started not detecting drives right away.

At the moment I have 8 disks in a working pool, and I have 3 left. Only one of those three actual shows up in the UI. The other two do show up in the CLI using camcontrol devlist. They do show up with smartctl-a /dev/da22. But the UI does not seem them in the DISK screen at all, let alone permit them to be added to the pool.

Is there any "filter" in the UI, in the sense of "only consider disks that has X and don't have Y"?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
While I don't know how to solve your problem, I do need to ask what version of TrueNAS you are running. I assume it's a Core version based on the drive ident of da22.

Is there any "filter" in the UI, in the sense of "only consider disks that has X and don't have Y"?
Not that I'm aware of.

StorageCurious

Explorer
While I don't know how to solve your problem, I do need to ask what version of TrueNAS you are running. I assume it's a Core version based on the drive ident of da22.
Ah Yes - TrueNAS-Core 3.0-U2

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ah Yes - TrueNAS-Core 3.0-U2
I assume you meant 13.0-U2 which is the same one I'm currently running.

At the bottom of the GUI page, is there a page number? If yes, have you moved over to page 2?

StorageCurious

Explorer
I assume you meant 13.0-U2 which is the same one I'm currently running.

At the bottom of the GUI page, is there a page number? If yes, have you moved over to page 2?

Yes I did - scrolled down until the end that is, but it did show my going to page 2.

I went a bit further
camcontrol devlist shows the drives
gpart show does not show either a) the 2 missing drives, b) nor the sole drive that is unassigned to a pool but is showing in the DISK screen. I assume until the drives are assigned to a pool they don't show up as they have no partition.

I did try using dd to file the beginning of the drive with zeros. I am now trying to fill the entire drives with zeros, but I hold no hope for that specifically.

I am trying to avoid rebooting TrueNAS as it's both an inconvenience at the moment and part of my current task is evaluating whether this makes sense as our iSCSI machine - if a reboot if needed to clear UI bugs, then it's not an obvious "yes".

StorageCurious

Explorer
In the end I had to reboot the server (for install PCIe cards in it) but everything came up fine afterwards.

I don't understand how the UI would not see the same thing as the CLI commands.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you running TrueNAS on bare metal or in a VM? And if the problem appears again, please submit a bug report.

StorageCurious

Explorer
Bare metal.

Will do if it happens again