Solution to Sync iPhone Servers

IOSonic

Explorer
Does anyone have a solution to the following problem?

1. I need to sync iPhone photos to my NAS remotely.
2. If possible, I want the solution that does this to skip photos that already exist on the NAS entirely.
3. The sync can be triggered manually or automatically.

There used by a user here called something like "Harambe" (the gorilla), who mentioned he sync'd his photos to his NAS over SSH. For the life of me I can't find him or his posts, but I'd love to know what you guys found to do something like that.

BTSync is perhaps one option. I am learning more about NextCloud, and perhaps that can work too.

1. I need to sync iPhone photos to my NAS remotely.
When you say "remote", do you mean in the literal sense that you can do this from anywhere? Or are you fine if it's only possible on your local network?

victort

Guru
I use nextcloud. The iOS app has the option to delete photos from phone after syncing.
There is also Photosync that you could try thats really nice
I used FE File Manager for a while, it also has the option to sync, but they have changed to a subscription model...

IOSonic

Explorer
When you say "remote", do you mean in the literal sense that you can do this from anywhere? Or are you fine if it's only possible on your local network?
I mean do it from anywhere. Mostly it would be from my local network, but I'd like the option to do it while traveling so that I don't lose my vacation photos if I leave my iPhone in an Uber (*ahem* this has never happened...).

I could expose the service publicly or accomplish that with a VPN client on my phone.

victort

Guru
I mean do it from anywhere. Mostly it would be from my local network, but I'd like the option to do it while traveling so that I don't lose my vacation photos if I leave my iPhone in an Uber (*ahem* this has never happened...).

I could expose the service publicly or accomplish that with a VPN client on my phone.
Nextcloud would be nice for that. It is designed to be exposed publicly.
A VPN is another option.

ddaenen1

Patron
I use nextcloud. I don't mirror though. I leave them all on NC, regardless if they are deleted on the iPhone. The idea of me, or someone else, accidentally deleting the fotos from my phone and losing everything because of the full sync scares me.

It works perfectly over wifi or 4/5G. The cool thing about NC is that it can host multiple accounts for family members to do the same thing.

victort

Guru
I use nextcloud. I don't mirror though. I leave them all on NC, regardless if they are deleted on the iPhone. The idea of me, or someone else, accidentally deleting the fotos from my phone and losing everything because of the full sync scares me.

It works perfectly over wifi or 4/5G. The cool thing about NC is that it can host multiple accounts for family members to do the same thing.
Is it possible to mirror with iPhone?

sfatula

Guru
I used FE File Manager for a while, it also has the option to sync, but they have changed to a subscription model...
Did they? Didn't know that. I have the pro version for years now. You sure you don't mean something else? I don't even see it on their website? I don't even see sync as an option?

I use nextcloud for auto upload as well.

Without nextcloud, Photosync works very well and a lot less to learn.

victort

Guru
The paid version (blue app) is the same, but the orange one is now called Owl Files and is subscription based.
There is another one called Remote Media Manager that looks nice and is only 3 bucks for pro. The free version limits you to one connection.

sfatula

Guru
The paid version (blue app) is the same, but the orange one is now called Owl Files and is subscription based.
There is another one called Remote Media Manager that looks nice and is only 3 bucks for pro. The free version limits you to one connection.
Thanks, that's interesting to me. FE File Manager is one of my favortie IOS apps for sure. I probably have 30 connections in it!