Cloud Sync issues

mumbedeus

Cadet
Hello there!

After using OpenMediaVault for a couple of years, I have just recently started playing with TrueNAS. For now I am just testing the software, but in the long run I am planning to migrate to TrueNAS, mainly because of ZFS’ capabilities. Since I am a beginner with this software, I have a couple of questions I couldn’t find answers for in the formus. Therefore I decided to ask the forum myself :smile:

Both me an my family are using Microsoft OneDrive on a daily basis. We are very happy with OneDrive, but since I am also very concerned(?) about backing up data, I am copying all our bits and bytes from Microsoft’s cloud to my local NAS on a regular basis. To perform this kind of process with TrueNAS, I have tested the built-in Cloud Sync option from the UI:
I have setup a Cloud Sync Task in the UI to PULL from a well sized test folder (about 250GB) in my personal OneDrive. This folder contains about every type of normal data (text documents, pictures, videos, software etc.). The transfer mode is SYNC, which means; "Files on the destination are changed to match those on the source. If a file does not exist on the source, it is also deleted from the destination."
After running this task every night the last two weeks, I have noticed that the log from every single run shows it has synced about 2GB of data - each night. This is odd since the folder have not been touched since the first run. Reading the log details, I can see that the end of every line in the log says "Copied (replaced existing)". About 75% of those replacements are photos - mainly from the folder containing a few hundred iPhone photos/videos.

Does anyone know why TrueNAS are replacing files even though they have not been modified? This is an issue because disk space taken by Snapshots are decreasing unnecessarily fast.

I also have a question regarding the choice of backup method:
The reason of not choosing COPY, is that the day OneDrive fails, it is easier to restore folders if they are not containing old deleted child folders and files. Combined with periodically snapshots, I look at this as a pretty solid method of backing up OneDrive. Does anyone disagree with this statement?

Hope to hear from someone with more experience than me ;-)

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I also have a question regarding the choice of backup method:
The reason of not choosing COPY, is that the day OneDrive fails, it is easier to restore folders if they are not containing old deleted child folders and files. Combined with periodically snapshots, I look at this as a pretty solid method of backing up OneDrive. Does anyone disagree with this statement?
This seems to make sense to me