SMB Share frequently asking for credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I have a Lenovo P51s running Windows 10. I have two FreeNAS boxes and a total of 3 (SMB) shares. The username is the same for all the datasets, but the passwords are different.

I have noticed that I frequently have to re-enter my credentials to access one of the shares. This is my daily driver laptop, and it is frequently used on other Wifi Networks than my LAN, so maybe that is a contributing factor.

Is there a way to avoid having to re-enter my credentials to access my shares so often? Should I consider something like a batch script to run on boot? Or is there a better way?

kdragon75

Wizard
The username is the same for all the datasets, but the passwords are different.
How does that work? Please explain how you accomplished this.
I see your in America, hows Peru this time of year?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Windows is not very good at that sort of thing. One big, longstanding issue is that it absolutely refuses to save credentials with the same username as the local user but a different password.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How does that work? Please explain how you accomplished this.
I assume two different passwords, one for each of the two servers, leaving two shares with the same password.

Yes, that one did trip me up, too, and it's a really weird way of doing things.

kdragon75

Wizard
I assume two different passwords, one for each of the two servers, leaving two shares with the same password.

Yes, that one did trip me up, too, and it's a really weird way of doing things.
Yep I definitely missed the two NASs. As you can imagine, I was thoroughly confused. Either way, I can't imagine windows differentiating SMB creds by server name or IP, not with the same username.

Status
Not open for further replies.